Reference in SCV 2018

I'm going to sound like a serious noob, which I'm not.  Been around the activity since '83, and I'm a big SCV fan though I didn't march there.  But I couldn't figure out what Dan Potter and Michael Boo were talking about when they talked about tons of references to past SCV shows in Babylon.  

Anyone care to educate me?  

Edited by LoveKathyG
  • Like 2

Y’all must have missed the bottle dance and Mr. Moto marching around the edge of the field to end the show, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How about the leg lift into the Vanguard V.

And nobody does back fields like the Vanguard.  They have made into an art form and this year put into the Sistine Chapel of drum corps shows.  1978's back field was phenomenal.  This years back field was better than phenomenal.  Everyone talks about the horn snap in the ballad...everyone should be talking about the backfield that creates the tension and release for the horn snap = brilliant and classical Vanguard.

Clustering of horn players as ensembles.   Vanguard has done this over the years.  This year was raised to a new level.

Probably many more.  Just a few I noticed. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dbeery said:

And nobody does back fields like the Vanguard.  They have made into an art form and this year put into the Sistine Chapel of drum corps shows.  1978's back field was phenomenal.  This years back field was better than phenomenal.  Everyone talks about the horn snap in the ballad...everyone should be talking about the backfield that creates the tension and release for the horn snap = brilliant and classical Vanguard.

Clustering of horn players as ensembles.   Vanguard has done this over the years.  This year was raised to a new level.

But... no Bottle Dance and Mr. Moto???  :laughing:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dbeery said:

All true, but you are referring to matters of style. The OP was asking about specific references to past shows, which I am assuming to mean samplings of music, drill or guard moves that have been used by them before. Thinks of the "Clowns" quote at the end of SCV's show last year. As well, there is a percussion riff that SCV has used in many shows since at least 1978, and it was present as recently as two years ago (it goes something like: bum bum budda bu-dum.). And of course, the famous "V" formed by the cymbals. 

That said, I cannot see or hear any references to past shows in SCV 2018. It appears to be sui generis. Any one else notice any?

No, the OP is referring to a podcast from Boo and Potter that point out that this years show is full of references to the history of SCV.  Things that are musically and visually unique to past SCV experiences that were paid homage in this years show.  And yes, some of them are a matter of style.  A lot of corps have done back fields - but not like SCV.  A lot of corps have done body movement, SCV had one that was their own before it was even a thing.  A lot of corps have marched cymbals, but not like SCV.  The same with the use of horn clusters and ensembles - SCV has made their utilization of those elements unique to SCV.  I don't even know if some of these things were purposefully written into the show to pay tribute to the past, but I did notice some things that were reminders of SCV's history and thought they were really cool - intentional or not.  I'm sure there were aspects of the horn arrangements that were a reference, certain percussion riffs, certain guard movements or equipment work, that referenced the past.  Not quite a May Pole , but maybe a reference.

A lot of people can dunk, but not like Dr. J.  

• Like 1

The company front in the closer, where the two guard members separated at the beginning of the show are reunited, always reminds me of a similar move from their 2004 Scheherazade show.