Reference in SCV 2018

Some of the references in ‘18 were very subtle, others not so.

The horn snap was one of the big ones but that dates back to the Tenderland years at least. It was used to huge effect in opener in ‘84 and again later in the same show.  

Percussion ‘18 feature: bass drum diagonal; just as they start their solo riff they cross their feet, a move that the snare line used to do back in the Rob Carson days. 

Side 1 pod of horns about 7 minutes in get up from their kneeling position, “grab” imaginary hat brims with their left hands and tilt their heads down and to the right in unison. It was so fast and cool, it had me cheering at the monitor when I saw it on Flo. 

“The Toast” in their victory concert run was a nice touch. 

The extended left arm & fist pose assumed after their very last note while on the stages is very reminicinent of the pose ‘85 SCV did at the very end of their show at ‘85 Finals when they tore off the green tunic fronts to reveal the white striped tunic and extra star underneath, thus “bookending” the pants change they did in opener. 

Super tight snare feature with really high pitched “rim gahks” (I still don’t know how they do that) to punctuate the end of the riff. An SCV staple. 

Decrescendo /crescendo and “wave” move (Boop buh dahhhhh....”)  and quick pose after “bah-dah-boop” ending lick in opener; another hark back. 

Front ensemble...beautifully executed “cascading marimba riff” at the beginning of Body In a Cage— another SCV hallmark, modern or old era. 

Pretty sure I saw a “star polish” visual..it was odd seeing the star on the “wrong” side but it made sense with the “EKG Line/Square Root Symbol” V on the costume top. 

No trombones, and they won the Ott (I was in the 1st Ott Line so that was kinda neat to see them *not* switch instruments.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My apologies for the big font; I was getting a 403 error and copied/pasted what I had in Notes where I use a bigger font so I can see it...stupid age! 

Almost forgot: Cymbal line did their patented Viper move near end of Club Sound. Hard to see because they are behind tenors and snares, and cameras usually did not capture it.

I would add in the company front that comes out of nowhere at the end of the opener (very late 80s, and there was another really great one at the end of 1997), and there was a drill move similar to 2006 in the drum break, where a rotating circle of horns eats up and spits out a line of other horns.