Troopers Announce 2019 Drum Major

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not see this "sexist context" anywhere.  Could you provide an example?

15 hours ago, TerriTroop said:

I'm pretty sure Savannah is not at all seen as a "token" within the Troopers organization.

I am not going to wade into the Troopers internal political life with alums and fans. The use of the Jim Jones quote, although historical, is a part of the defensiveness in my view.

I would have preferred that her biography have been given similar to Gabe's each year with the person's achievements, education, and talents noted. Once any reference to gender/sex is mentioned then it becomes a sexist agenda pro-or-con. Does it matter what gender/sex is attributed to the person on the podium leading the music or leading the corps?  I would say no. Just say that she's as talented and gifted as Pete Emmons was, as Gene Monterestelli was, as any Trooper DM has been in. period.Once gender begins to be mentioned the announcement becomes sexist and perhaps tokenism with a new director and now drum major setting different perspectives. Perhaps talking about the shift in philosophy would have been wiser and a follow-up to the theme of the very enjoyable 2018 show as the corps moved into the new West.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Savannah Light led the "Black Parade" block at the start of the 2018 show. Five feet in stature, and 12 Feet Tall. She's ready.

Yup. Goosebumps every time I go back and watch that.

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I am not going to wade into the Troopers internal political life with alums and fans. The use of the Jim Jones quote, although historical, is a part of the defensiveness in my view.

I would have preferred that her biography have been given similar to Gabe's each year with the person's achievements, education, and talents noted. Once any reference to gender/sex is mentioned then it becomes a sexist agenda pro-or-con. Does it matter what gender/sex is attributed to the person on the podium leading the music or leading the corps?  I would say no. Just say that she's as talented and gifted as Pete Emmons was, as Gene Monterestelli was, as any Trooper DM has been in. period.Once gender begins to be mentioned the announcement becomes sexist and perhaps tokenism with a new director and now drum major setting different perspectives. Perhaps talking about the shift in philosophy would have been wiser and a follow-up to the theme of the very enjoyable 2018 show as the corps moved into the new West.

Understood.  (Now that my browser revealed the video link, I see what you were referring to.)

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

I would have preferred that her biography have been given similar to Gabe's each year with the person's achievements, education, and talents noted.

You mean like this?

"As we set the foundation for an exciting 2019 season, it is my pleasure to share with you the announcement of our new Troopers Drum Major.  This individual is a proven leader who will proudly maintain the highest standards of excellence, purpose, and presence as have been set by those who have previously worn the spurs."

-Kristy Jackson, Troopers Corps Director

Keep in mind that this is Wyoming we're talking about, officially The Equality State (you thought it was The Cowboy State, but no). It has a long history -- its entire history, as a matter of fact -- of touting the role of women in its life. (That history, by the way, is interesting. When Wyoming granted the franchise to all adults -- the first state to do so -- it was a move more of necessity, owing to the sparse population, than of egaltarianism. But then, Wyoming has a way of reducing much of life to its most practical level.) So the Troopers are acting entirely in character of their home.

Also keep in mind the modern way drum corps roll out information: first a little hint, then a glimpse, then the full reveal. I promise you'll be getting the full DM bio in due course.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 4:39 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

You mean like this?

"As we set the foundation for an exciting 2019 season, it is my pleasure to share with you the announcement of our new Troopers Drum Major.  This individual is a proven leader who will proudly maintain the highest standards of excellence, purpose, and presence as have been set by those who have previously worn the spurs."

-Kristy Jackson, Troopers Corps Director

Keep in mind that this is Wyoming we're talking about, officially The Equality State (you thought it was The Cowboy State, but no). It has a long history -- its entire history, as a matter of fact -- of touting the role of women in its life. (That history, by the way, is interesting. When the Wyoming granted the franchise to all adults -- the first state to do so -- it was a move more of necessity, owing to the sparse population, than of egaltarianism. But Wyoming has a way of reducing much of life to its most practical level.) So the Troopers are acting entirely in character of their home.

Also keep in mind the modern way drum corps roll out information: first a little hint, then a glimpse, then the full reveal. I promise you'll be getting the full DM bio in due course.

I'm the proud brother of five younger sisters, brother in law to others, uncle to three nieces and godfather of two other young ladies all whom I respect and admire. My five sisters, all college educated hold six Masters including two MBA's, run the major pediatric oncology wing of a joint NYC teaching hospital, the legal-financial division of a Fortune 500 company, some triathlete awards, an ambassadorial chair while teaching at two universities on each side of the pond, and proud mother and grandmother of their families.

If I ever even hinted that one of them got their positions primarily because they were a girl, I would be physically clobbered. Not an exaggeration...one was awarded the Civilian Good Samaritan Award of the City of New York for tackling and disarming an deranged man wielding a knife who had stabbed and downed two male NYC cops before my sister body slammed him to the floor of that hospital.  They strongly remind me that they are people first. 'Nuff said.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nowhere did they say she got it because she's a girl.  Nowhere do they even imply that.  That she's the first female DM is a hell of an achievement, though, and more power to her, and the corps is proud of it.  Heck, *I'm* proud of it and I have no connection whatsoever to the Troopers.  (I am, however, the dad of a female DCI DM, so make of that what you will.)

Mike

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Savannah Light led the "Black Parade" block at the start of the 2018 show. Five feet in stature, and 12 Feet Tall. She's ready.

That's an amazing moment.  And her presence at the forefront of that was everything Troopers.  She'll do just fine upholding the legacy.

• Like 5