Caption Awards

No clue why I started thinking about this but after Santa Clara winning brass and percussion last month I had to go back and look at recaps to see the last time someone won both.  I clearly remember Cadets 2005 since they won every caption (sub-caption) and the next most recent was BD in 2007.  It really did not occur to me how rare it is to have a corps to win both.  Brass was being traded back and forth between the top four this year until finals week...SCV peaked at the right time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

No clue why I started thinking about this but after Santa Clara winning brass and percussion last month I had to go back and look at recaps to see the last time someone won both.  I clearly remember Cadets 2005 since they won every caption (sub-caption) and the next most recent was BD in 2007.  It really did not occur to me how rare it is to have a corps to win both.  Brass was being traded back and forth between the top four this year until finals week...SCV peaked at the right time!

it's quite rare - shows how strong an organization SCV has become in all captions, won Guard the year prior as well. Taking all 3 "majors" in 2 seasons is TOUGH

if they keep their current design team together we may see other wins and medals for SCV in the next few seasons to come!

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's quite rare - shows how strong an organization SCV has become in all captions, won Guard the year prior as well. Taking all 3 "majors" in 2 seasons is TOUGH

if they keep their current design team together we may see other wins and medals for SCV in the next few seasons to come!

I'd love to see a 4-peat.  One down only 3 to go... Too early? ...haha

clarifying: titles/not captions

Edited by Liahona

On 9/14/2018 at 1:01 PM, Liahona said:

Well if that happens Liahona, another group you are familiar with would be none too pleased.  LOL.  Eat em up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2018 at 1:01 PM, Liahona said:

I personally don’t think even three in a row is possible anymore, even for BD 

way too many strong programs 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I personally don’t think even three in a row is possible anymore, even for BD 

way too many strong programs 

It feels like there is downward pressure on scores for any previous year's champion.  Doubly so if they repeated.  If there were a way to evaluate performances without such biases, we'd probably be very surprised with results.  

Who won both Brass & Percussion:

1972: Kingsmen

1976: BD

1977: BD

1984: BD

1985: BD

1987: Garfield

1991: Star

1993: Star

1994: BD

1997: BD

2005: Cadets

2007: BD

2018: SCV  <--- First outright Brass win in corps' history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are we talking finals night, or the average between all three competitions, like the awards are currently given? When did that format start happening?

10 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

Are we talking finals night, or the average between all three competitions, like the awards are currently given? When did that format start happening?

They started averaging in 2001, iirc.

Edited by dcsnare93