Caption Awards

18 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Some people over dramatize Finals as the end all. What you infer is not what I said at all. 

then please explain yourself further, because i know others got the same impression

22 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I was at the show in LaCrosse, Wis. when this happened. I sincerely doubt whether you were any where near it.

If you viewed the show only via computer, you may not have realized the weather conditions which caused mist that rose during Crown's performance which effected their intonation tremendously...in some parts of the field a fog even developed. That caused fazing. That same show a wonderful rainbow appeared behind the bluffs over looking the stadium which elated the crowd and Blue Stars but further dampened the feelings of the other corps' mms who shook their head at the changing weather conditions under which each corps performed. As I had sponsored mms both in Cadets and Crown that season and had the chance to visit with them and their sections, my perspective is from first hand experience and reaction. Beth Fabrizio scored them as she experienced them on the field that night.

I'm referring to the non winner

58 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I doubt you do. I am not replying further and take my leave.

wow. I ask a simple question and this is the response. I'm not challenging your integrity or manhood or womanhood. I am asking for a simple elaboration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2018 at 1:43 PM, seen-it-all said:

("Ladies and gentlemen, the Jim Ott Memorial Brass Award goes to the high brass winner, the Skunkville Kadets! They didn't actually get the highest score in brass performance tonight, but they were REALLY good last night. And well, you know, they've been beating the Binghamton Blue Raiders all season in brass, so even though Binghamton was awesome tonight and scored first in brass performance, Skunkville gets the trophy because they've been SO good all year long and they just had a bit of an off night tonight. You know, on the biggest night and the biggest stage of the year. Besides, we don't really trust our judges to make the right calls on these things, so you can't take tonight's scores seriously. The scores of the previous two nights, though, where Skunkville was ahead? Clearly those were the right scores. No funny stuff going on there.")

Man... that's a lot for an announcer to say!!!  :tongue:

Seriously... I agree.  If the overall champion is determined by Finals-night scores... the caption winners should be.

Edited by Fran Haring

2 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Bottom line, if you're in favor of three-night averaging for caption awards, but NOT for determining the overall DCI Champion, ask yourself why. The answer to that question is everything. 

I prefer the three night averaging for caption awards because it's more than one judge deciding each caption trophy.  The reason why I do not want it for the overall DCI Champion is because there already is more than one judge deciding that on Finals night.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

("Ladies and gentlemen, the Jim Ott Memorial Brass Award goes to the high brass winner, the Skunkville Kadets! They didn't actually get the highest score in brass performance tonight, but they were REALLY good last night. And well, you know, they've been beating the Binghamton Blue Raiders all season in brass, so even though Binghamton was awesome tonight and scored first in brass performance, Skunkville gets the trophy because they've been SO good all year long and they just had a bit of an off night tonight. You know, on the biggest night and the biggest stage of the year. Besides, we don't really trust our judges to make the right calls on these things, so you can't take tonight's scores seriously. The scores of the previous two nights, though, where Skunkville was ahead? Clearly those were the right scores. No funny stuff going on there.")

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with your position.

Just a few questions and comments...

How long has averaging caption awards taken place?  I heard for at least 10 years, but have no confirmation of that.  Why did the corps directors vote to average caption awards?  I ask only because it seems sometimes rules are put in place because something happened a season or two before that precipitated that change.  

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well,  don't conflate early season scores, placements that you ( or others ) might say " doesn't matter ", with Championships as these early season shows do not contain all the World Class & Open Class Corps together in one setting, head to head. The Championships in August, where Corps have put in their final product, is the ONLY setting where the final product with these DCI Corps is judged in competition by the multiple judging panels over multiple back to back nites

.I never say scores don't matter the beginning of the season or not. I know for a fact how they are. They neighborhood corps. With that said YES nothing is firm until head to head but even at the end if one wants to average then do the entire thing by average. To me, this does not say who the best of the best is on championship night, especially when corps can be so tight. Corps can be different in performance with 3 shows in a row. Judging the same show with double panels is the only way I see as fair and getting who was best of the best the night of finals.jmo