Caption Awards

4 hours ago, BigW said:

One one hand, yes, there's a kind of odd and uneasy feeling about it. But when there's a trend of the finals judge picking one over the other two judges.... wow, there's also that issue as well to think about. More a "Whassup with that!?" feeling. It's insanely hard to get the panel mix to be fair at every round in terms of the final outcome let alone one caption.

The judge on finals night knows the required spread to guarantee a caption win...despite given BD the top spot on finals night the spread was kept close enough to allow BAC to win. Read all you want into that.

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Solution...at least one judge must be selected by the Blue Devils each year.   

You're welcome.

they arent already?😇

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

The judge on finals night knows the required spread to guarantee a caption win...despite given BD the top spot on finals night the spread was kept close enough to allow BAC to win. Read all you want into that.

I didn't think the Finals panel had access to the previous recaps... or... are they briefed on the exact spread in the pre-contest briefing?

On 9/26/2018 at 8:53 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Sorry but being the championship guard yet you didn’t win finals night is hollow 

Welp, the Blue Devils had the top score in '17 finals yet SCV won the trophy. BD had a LOT of bad line on Thurs and Friday. Frankly, I haven't seen them look that bad (for them) consistently since '05. On Saturday, they were absolutely on fire and won by 0.3. I've no prob with the best OVERALL guard or drums, etc winning.

6 hours ago, BigW said:

I didn't think the Finals panel had access to the previous recaps... or... are they briefed on the exact spread in the pre-contest briefing?

We are; why aren't they? There has to be a certain trust given to judges. Yes, they're human; yes, they have favorites. The two numbers that freaked me out the most must have done the same to the powers that be. I won't mention names, but one judged GE Visual in 1987 finals and the other judged color guard in '03 prelims. Two incredible WT(holy)F moments. The former never judged a major contest again (only DCWest); the latter, I'm not sure.

9 hours ago, Sideways said:

Bahahaha! I was going to start a completely new thread on this. I think I did write of it in MMA's fall issue. Yes, BD only needed 0.1 to win Guard last month -- that would have tied them with BAC, and the caption tiebreaker goes to the finals number. BD won by .05, giving the cake-and-eat-it result: BD has the top guard in finals; BAC gets the hardware. On the other hand, perhaps he had absolutely no idea regarding the spreads, so this is moot. By the way, why not add to the arithmeticking (😎) in caption awards? 20% QF; 30% SF; 50% finals. Make the tabulators earn that bank.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm not saying BD should or shouldnt have won most of those years. But as an administrator in a band circuit, you look for trends. Sometimes trends reveal themselves in ways that prove my point. Only 3 people in 11 years didn't get multiple cracks. 

Of those years, I'd love to see how many of them worked the other 2 days.

***RELEASE THE NERD!***

Unless mentioned, BD was rated 1st. Bold is a "repeat offender" for Thurs/Fri only.

YEAR    QF                 SF

'08   R. Solomon   D. Torchia  (In this, the closest of DCI wins, both of these had a 0.2 spread w/ BD/PR. Finals judge had a 0.7 spread.)

'09   J. Howell       R. Solomon

'10    L. Carlson    W. Chumley  (Straight 20s all 3 nights. Wowza!)

'11   G. Oliviero     R. Solomon

'12   R. Solomon   M. Lentz

'13   G. Oliviero     D. Torchia

'14   L. Carlson      M. Turner

'15   M. Turner       G. Oliviero  (Turner had BD in 2nd by 0.2)

'16   M. Lentz         M. Thompson  (QF: BD 0.3 under CC; SF: BD 0.2 under CC and 0.1 under Bloo; Finals: BD wins by 0.3; CC wins Zingali)

'17   H. Nguyen      R. Solomon  (QF: BD 0.15 under SCV; SF: BD 0.2 under SCV; Finals: BD 0.3 win. SCV wins Zingali)

'18   C. Raichle       W. Chumley (SF: 0.3 under BAC for 4th place guard [lowest since '07 SF 6th place]; BAC wins Zingali)