Caption Awards

On 9/28/2018 at 1:36 PM, Jeff Ream said:

But certain judges will, even with the sheets being more fully fleshed out, will have their preference. Body people will reward  BD more than an equipment heavy background person. in checking out the Drum Corps AF podcast, it was mentioned BD is great in Body, but the equipment work is A class ( referring to WGI). Now I'm not qualified to say that it is, but I dug around a few places online and saw similar statements. Boston was more equipment heavy. So looking over the past results of all 3 days, it seems that, especially when judged from way upstairs, body seems to get BD more love since the equipment isn't getting as much to do, hence making them appear cleaner. I am speculating that based on things I have seen posted here, reddit, that podcast and other chatter around the globe.

The problem with the guard caption is the sheet.  To be equivalent to the Brass and Percussion captions,  it should really be a simple combination of the WGI Equipment and Movement sheets.  The  current DCI CG sheet includes concepts from GE, Visual Analysis and Visual Performance as well as Equipment and Movement.  IMHO It's an abortion of a judging sheet and should be erased from existence.  The breadth of the sheet allows the judge to write down any old number and justify it (even more so than other captions :ninja: ).  Listen to a qualified WGI Equipment or Movement tape; the commentary, judges, and sheets are the most objective in the activity. The really good ones are like a surgical dissection of your product.    (BTW you don't see most of those judges doing DCI because the corps caption heads don't want them anywhere NEAR their numbers -- they might get held accountable. 😮 ) A combination of those sheets would credit the WHAT the PERFORMERS are doing and HOW they are doing it -- with the emphasis on the PERFORMERS.  Instead we have a sheet that "focuses" on design, effect and whatever else you'd like to discuss over mojitos.

Anyway I support captions awards over three nights.  It balances out the all-or-nothing finals score and is simply the best compromise between those who support either side of the issue.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, karuna said:

The problem with the guard caption is the sheet.  To be equivalent to the Brass and Percussion captions,  it should really be a simple combination of the WGI Equipment and Movement sheets.  The  current DCI CG sheet includes concepts from GE, Visual Analysis and Visual Performance as well as Equipment and Movement.  IMHO It's an abortion of a judging sheet and should be erased from existence.  The breadth of the sheet allows the judge to write down any old number and justify it (even more so than other captions :ninja: ).  Listen to a qualified WGI Equipment or Movement tape; the commentary, judges, and sheets are the most objective in the activity. The really good ones are like a surgical dissection of your product.    (BTW you don't see most of those judges doing DCI because the corps caption heads don't want them anywhere NEAR their numbers -- they might get held accountable. 😮 ) A combination of those sheets would credit the WHAT the PERFORMERS are doing and HOW they are doing it -- with the emphasis on the PERFORMERS.  Instead we have a sheet that "focuses" on design, effect and whatever else you'd like to discuss over mojitos.

Anyway I support captions awards over three nights.  It balances out the all-or-nothing finals score and is simply the best compromise between those who support either side of the issue.  

NM🙂

Edited by GUARDLING

On 9/28/2018 at 1:36 PM, Jeff Ream said:

first off the pool of judges used for finals week is small. While many new faces have been added to the roster, the opportunities to break the glass ceiling has been few. Sure, I'd love to see Jeff and Marty and Allen out there on drums every year for example, but there's a couple of newer folks that arent so bad.

So with a small rotating cast of characters, you'll see some trends. I mean it's been discussed on here a zillion times if Chumley is on a show, BD will win. I honestly havent dug deep enough on the others to see if thats said ( and i am not blasting Chumley, I am saying it's been said.....hell look at the Torchia comments over the years LOL)

But certain judges will, even with the sheets being more fully fleshed out, will have their preference. Body people will reward  BD more than an equipment heavy background person. in checking out the Drum Corps AF podcast, it was mentioned BD is great in Body, but the equipment work is A class ( referring to WGI). Now I'm not qualified to say that it is, but I dug around a few places online and saw similar statements. Boston was more equipment heavy. So looking over the past results of all 3 days, it seems that, especially when judged from way upstairs, body seems to get BD more love since the equipment isn't getting as much to do, hence making them appear cleaner. I am speculating that based on things I have seen posted here, reddit, that podcast and other chatter around the globe.

the circuit i administrate in uses a variation of the DCI sheets, so i went back and looked at out championships results the last few years, and looked at the background of those that judged...I saw a similar result.

Even in percussion world, of which I am versed, there's still a perception that a front ensemble person will not give the battery enough credit and a battery guy will not give the front ensemble enough credit. While i think that perception is dying slowly, there are some reasons to think it's still out there for some.

Thanks for the tip...that Drum Corps AF podcast is great!

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

Thanks for the tip...that Drum Corps AF podcast is great!

it is. Drunk Corps gets off on being ########. AF does a good job getting shots in but giving good feedback

I find it refreshing that they echo a lot of my opinions about the activity.  Not the sanitized crap that comes from dci and most corps themselves.

So why do we average caption winners over three days but not he final champion overall? Asking for a friend