Caption Awards

38 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I don't see a " double panel "on Finals Night as workable however... nor as an improvement over the current methodology the Corps/ DCI have adopted and agreed upon. The introduction of " double panels " in Brass, Percussion, Guard for Finals Night, but not for Quarters, Semi's affects in a major way the allotment of points on Finals Night competition, that would be at odds with the allotment of points on Quarterfinals and the SemiFinals... unless I'm missing something here. Changing to ( for example ) 2 Brass judges and 2 Guard judges, 2 Percussion judges, changes everything on Finals Night, compared with the previous 2 nights, and is not a sensible way to decide a DCI Champion for that season, imo, let alone Best Brass, Best Percussion, Best Guard at DCI Championships, imo. If you are recommnending DCI have " double panels", they'd have to have them for all the 3 nites of Quarters, Semi's and Finals at the DCI championships to make any rational sense at all it would seem to me. But this seems out of the question, as the Corps don't seem to have any interest at the moment in going to any " double panels " at Championships for the 3 nites of competitions... and for reasons beyond just the additional costs to do this too, I'd imagine.

, We work with what we have until change comes, if or when

Edited by GUARDLING

A lot has to do with what you personally believe the decision should be rendered on. If one likes awarding these trophies on how consistently excellent the team is throughout the weekend, then that's cool. If one think the award should be given based on the finals performance only, with another judge on panel to average and eliminate perceived biases, also cool.

I find both ideas very intriguing. I can't see where one is intrinsically better than the other except through personal preference. The answer would be what the corps themselves would like the best to suit their needs and desires.

After reading all of this, I can't say I like one better than the other. I think both have merit. Jeff knows usually I'll fall strongly one way or another about things. Depends on what you want as the objective- the best on that one night, or throughout the entire weekend.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

A lot has to do with what you personally believe the decision should be rendered on. If one likes awarding these trophies on how consistently excellent the team is throughout the weekend, then that's cool. If one think the award should be given based on the finals performance only, with another judge on panel to average and eliminate perceived biases, also cool.

I find both ideas very intriguing. I can't see where one is intrinsically better than the other except through personal preference. The answer would be what the corps themselves would like the best to suit their needs and desires.

After reading all of this, I can't say I like one better than the other. I think both have merit. Jeff knows usually I'll fall strongly one way or another about things. Depends on what you want as the objective- the best on that one night, or throughout the entire weekend.

Yes and we work with what we have and like in anything we work that system throughout the season to succeed. At least until another system comes to be..lol then we work that.lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

The end game is the LAST show. But we go off of an average of the last 3 shows. A walking contradiction

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The end game is the LAST show. But we go off of an average of the last 3 shows. A walking contradiction

AS someone who has benefited  from both sides of this. I would still have to agree with you. I do believe there are ways to make this happen and not leave it to 1 person. enough said, at least by me..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

47 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

AS someone who has benefited  from both sides of this. I would still have to agree with you. I do believe there are ways to make this happen and not leave it to 1 person. enough said, at least by me..lol

is it feasible to truly double the entire panel though? Lord, Competition Suite would probably melt down. 10 judges at WGI Finals can make it's head spin LOL

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

is it feasible to truly double the entire panel though? Lord, Competition Suite would probably melt down. 10 judges at WGI Finals can make it's head spin LOL

lol...feasible, I think so although youre right but what's the answer then? Maybe not the entire panel? I do know most guard people would like it better, at least that's what I'm told. Maybe the other captions ( music/ brass/ percussion are ok but guard truly is 1 person  period? although guard is part of many captions, the actual guard score is 1 judge.

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol...feasible, I think so although youre right but what's the answer then? Maybe not the entire panel? I do know most guard people would like it better, at least that's what I'm told. Maybe the other captions ( music/ brass/ percussion are ok but guard truly is 1 person  period? although guard is part of many captions, the actual guard score is 1 judge.

is any sheet one person anymore with design? 

and you know as well as I do drum guys wouldn't be happy with whatever number of judges there are LOL

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol..well guard people can be just like drum people too..lol

I didn't want to offend more than my own kind