Sunrisers suspended

That statement appears to indicate that Sunrisers didn't pay their hotel bill.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

This is a shame. I saw Sunrisers in exhibition last July at a DCI show in Cranston, RI. I was surprised at how young the corps was, so young, I wondered if there would be a future for the corps as a DCI OC corps, though when I saw photos throughout the season, it did show more adult members and I assumed some of the marching members may have had to work and could not be in Cranston. I was impressed with the comments of some parents who had young first time members in the corps. Whatever the issues are, I hope they get solved soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That statement appears to indicate that Sunrisers didn't pay their hotel bill.

That was my first thought too, but usually when an organization books multiple rooms in a hotel, the bill for the rooms is paid in advance, usually by check, and the check has cleared the bank prior to arrival. At least that has been my experience with middle and high school students. However you usually do not have to pay security fees for damages though the contract that is signed  basically gives you 48 hours to pay for damages. Perhaps there were damages and Sunrisers refused to pay.  Reddit posters claim it was the bill, others damages, and there are other things mentioned as well.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

That was my first thought too, but usually when an organization books multiple rooms in a hotel, the bill for the rooms is paid in advance, usually by check, and the check has cleared the bank prior to arrival. At least that has been my experience with middle and high school students. However you usually do not have to pay security fees for damages though the contract that is signed  basically gives you 48 hours to pay for damages. Perhaps there were damages and Sunrisers refused to pay.  Reddit posters claim it was the bill, others damages, and there are other things mentioned as well.

I agree with your statements and find it sadly ironic that it's a Marriott property complaining. Marriott has been undergoing picketing nationwide for not paying its workers appropriate wages. Two wrongs don't make a right, ever.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/09/03/marriott-hotel-workers-block-traffic-protest-for-contract-better-wages/pOfJdCnmfdWIRhsU2iN3dK/story.html

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

What a hot mess.

I have my own opinions about what's going on with my old team... but I'll keep them to myself.

Sorry to be so vague here. Might have to up my blood pressure meds. LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

According to their facebook post, they confirmed it's because of their failure to pay their hotel bill.

How is that even possible?

I also noticed that yesterday they replaced their director, president of the board and business manager. 

25 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

I also noticed that yesterday they replaced their director, president of the board and business manager. 

Ah, I wondered about the reference in DCA's statement to their plans to work with the "new" Sunrisers administration.

From their Facebook page.  “The Long Island Sunrisers are making known the suspension of operations imposed on the corps by Drum Corps Associates, due to non-payment of their hotel bill. While the corps regrets this situation, the leadership will work with DCA and hope to have the issues addressed for possible reinstatement.”.  

Sad.  I hope they can right the ship soon.