Sunrisers suspended

We've seen corps in bad spots turn around. MBI took this year off but has announced plans to field a corps next year. Bushwackers were on the verge of shutting down just five or six years ago, with a judgement allowing a creditor to seize their instruments if they didn't pay a debt, and this year they managed to place fifth. So it ought to be possible for Sunrisers to make this right.

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

That was my first thought too, but usually when an organization books multiple rooms in a hotel, the bill for the rooms is paid in advance, usually by check, and the check has cleared the bank prior to arrival. At least that has been my experience with middle and high school students. However you usually do not have to pay security fees for damages though the contract that is signed  basically gives you 48 hours to pay for damages. Perhaps there were damages and Sunrisers refused to pay.  Reddit posters claim it was the bill, others damages, and there are other things mentioned as well.

Their director also resigned the other day. No clue if related to this or other internal issues....or real life

2 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

Reminds me that a beloved junior corps never did pay their housing bill for the 1973 U.S. Open in Marion, OH.

For other reasons, I today was thinking about the 1974 event. (Not that I was there; I was only two and wouldn't even hear of drum corps for another 15 years!) More on that in six months or so.

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

From their Facebook page.  “The Long Island Sunrisers are making known the suspension of operations imposed on the corps by Drum Corps Associates, due to non-payment of their hotel bill. While the corps regrets this situation, the leadership will work with DCA and hope to have the issues addressed for possible reinstatement.”.  

Sad.  I hope they can right the ship soon. 

Something screwy going on and hope DCA and the new team can get it straightened out. Don’t want to P.O. the hotels the first year at a site you want to return to. Or P.O. a chain and get corps blackballed from the chain. Surprised no one mentioned Renegades hotel mess at Rochester.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Something screwy going on and hope DCA and the new team can get it straightened out. Don’t want to P.O. the hotels the first year at a site you want to return to. Or P.O. a chain and get corps blackballed from the chain. Surprised no one mentioned Renegades hotel mess at Rochester.

Annapolis 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In the past the way it use to work when we hit Rochester with both the corps I marched with there were room captains that collected the money from each of the members in the room and turned it over to the front desk. There were individual members in the corps the director had to come around to to collect on. In some cases the members could not come up with the money and the corps had to write a check to cover the shortfall. Every year it seemed it was several hundred dollars because of a few deadbeats that would come to finals with Zero money. 

Unreal. Never understood it. They knew this was on the calendar back in November. They could have had money put back. I don't know the situation with Sunrisers first hand but my guess is those kids came without their money and the corps did not have the funds to cover the shortfall. 

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Annapolis. :innocent:

saw on Facebook new percussion staff as he corps can't assist with the travel expenses

On 9/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, camel lips said:

In the past the way it use to work when we hit Rochester with both the corps I marched with there were room captains that collected the money from each of the members in the room and turned it over to the front desk. There were individual members in the corps the director had to come around to to collect on. In some cases the members could not come up with the money and the corps had to write a check to cover the shortfall. Every year it seemed it was several hundred dollars because of a few deadbeats that would come to finals with Zero money. 

Unreal. Never understood it. They knew this was on the calendar back in November. They could have had money put back. I don't know the situation with Sunrisers first hand but my guess is those kids came without their money and the corps did not have the funds to cover the shortfall. 

If it is as you say, and I do not follow DCA that closely, so I have no reason to question what you say, why didn’t the corps collect the money prior to check in? In the case of the younger members, my thought is every band director and anyone who has organized a youth trip would agree, you never trust they’ll have the money at check in. You collect it before you leave, actually you collect it well ahead of time. The same should hold true for the adults. And if it is a question of using credit cards, a corps could easily get a device that allows them to accept credit cards. 

Now I have never used Marriott hotels for a group event. I have used Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, and Choice Hotels. If the group is not paying the bill, I can’t imagine the hotels reserving rooms for adults without a credit card for each room and if kids were involved, not expecting payment prior to arrival. I know about ten years back, I helped organize a service trip involving three different groups of high school students. It was a two day trip to the work site and we decided we would stay in Hershey, PA so the kids could get to know each other in a social setting (great idea, by the way, Hershey Park is very accommodating with lots of perks for youth and school groups). The hotels required payment in advance, and since it was in the summer and school was not in session, proof of insurance and waivers signed by parents. All this is not difficult to do. It involves a quick call to the insurer and a certificate is faxed and the waiver is put in a packet with all the other forms a parent has to sign. This is not to excuse the Sunrisers if they stiffed the hotel, but I’m surprised the Marriott did not have procedures that allowed this to happen. I stayed at the Marriott Fairfield in Indy last August and my credit card had a hold on the funds prior to my check in. 

• Like 1