Sunrisers suspended

Mix-ups can happen, especially in complex group booking situations like this.  At Indy this year, those of us playing brass with FREE Players were supposed to pay for our own rooms in the larger group block, but this wasn't communicated to us and the front desk staff didn't take our payment info because they assumed our rooms were pre-paid.  Three weeks later we got a panicked call from their director asking us to get in touch with the hotel manager ASAP because they got a surprise bill for a few thousand dollars from the hotel, and realized what happened. 

I know nothing about the Sunrisers situation. However several years ago I took a church youth group to an event and we stayed a a 5 star Mariiott Hotel. At those hotels there is a very good breakfast buffet but it is not included with the room (unless you are a super rewards member staying on the club level) . Several of the kids and I think the chaperones went down and had breakfast signed it to the room and said they didn't know they were getting charged $15 other just went down and had breakfast without paying a bill. I got a pretty big bill when I went to check out. This could be something as simple as a bunch of people went to breakfast  thought it was free then found out it wasn;t. 20 people at $15 each comes to $300 which  would be an issue . I don't know if that is what happened but it could be something like that just a misunderstanding which sadly becomes a much bigger problem.

Who knows what the exact situation was, but given Marriott reacted so quickly indicates this was not about a room here or there that did not pay - rather probably a very significant amount of $$$ was involved - walked out without paying -  bounced check or whatever.  The fact that several mgmt types plus a ban by DCA indicates this was no small thing.   Bet one thing that comes out of this for sure - all local area Williamsport hotels will depend payment up front.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coloradocorp said:

Who knows what the exact situation was, but given Marriott reacted so quickly indicates this was not about a room here or there that did not pay - rather probably a very significant amount of $$$ was involved - walked out without paying -  bounced check or whatever.  The fact that several mgmt types plus a ban by DCA indicates this was no small thing.   Bet one thing that comes out of this for sure - all local area Williamsport hotels will depend payment up front.

That might be a pretty good bet. Perhaps not full payment... but a good-sized percentage.

• Haha 1

As directors, we've all used a little spit and glue from time to time to get the corps down the street.  That means driving a truck if you're a little short to pay a driver.  That means floating a few kids' fees on your own credit card because they promised to pay by Friday but showed up without the check.  That means, sometimes, trying like hell to look at the big picture of 100 people and doing what you darn well hope is the right thing so you don't let people down and throwing up a Hail Mary that things will get sorted out on the fly.  Is that always super-prudent? You know what?  Probably  not.  And one's heart in the right place sometimes runs counter to what's available on the balance sheet.  If you've run a group, you've been there.  There is no doubt about it.  "We can get caught up with Thursday-Saturday Bingo" is a familiar phrase. It is what it is. They got there.  They did pretty well.  They looked the part. They got past some real drama to get there (and the expectation of payments due that did not come in left them in a tough spot).  We go on.  It isnt the first time we've seen it.  It won't be the last.  Understanding it means to do something positive (like we did with Bushwackers), make it right with the Corporate people (I'm sure Allen is on top of it and the Williamsport people are pros and will go to bat for the event), and let the new people at Sun build on the momentum that it looks like they created in short order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Undestand this has been takein care of by Sunrisers ,now how long before DCA lifts the ban?

1 hour ago, Florida Sun said:

Undestand this has been takein care of by Sunrisers ,now how long before DCA lifts the ban?

I think it would depend on what stipulations were put in place with the initial ruling ... 

22 hours ago, ajlisko said:

I think it would depend on what stipulations were put in place with the initial ruling ... 

yeah the full terms and conditions so to speak weren't made public

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I'll receive comments on my opinion BUT.....What good is suspending an entire corps? Happened to Renegades and they are gone. Probably will happen with Pioneer on the DCI side. The people that were managing the group have severed ties with Sun and they are the ones that messed up! Now the corps should pay the bill but is suspending the members going to fix this or make it worse (Folding Sunrisers)?