Question About DCA Culture

So, I'm in my early 40's, and I'm at a place where I'd like to cross some items off of my bucket list; one of those items being "March a season of drum corps." Obviously, I can't march a DCI corps, but I am interested in the Reading Buccaneers, because I'm a battery percussionist, and because their battery books interest me most. The problem is my age. I see that all of the Bucs' drumline cats are young, but I don't know if that's because of a lack of interest from older folks, or if it's because the culture there is centered around younger musicians. 

Would it be strange or disruptive if someone my age tried out and marched a season with the Bucs? Honesty is appreciated and won't hurt my feelings. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

I have no experience, but in an interview in 2014 or 2015, I think the then-director of the Buccaneers said that their oldest member is 53.

Whether that person was marching on the field, I'm not sure, and I look forward to comments from others about your dream.

In approximately that year, I remember Kamarag posting here mid-season that if Fusion Core needed to fill a baritone slot, he was open to joining them. And he's somewhere in his 40s, I believe. (We've never met, although we realized after the fact that we had seen each other, as I was sitting immediately behind him at the 2012 Finals.)

Personally, I think if you're serious enough about it, you should follow that dream!

If you have the hands, the legs, and the attitude to hang with them, Reading will have you in a heartbeat. I know their center snare in 2016 and 2017 was on the wrong side of 30, so age isn't the biggest factor. I'm entertaining the idea of returning if financial means work out, and I'm gonna be 27.

As for that 53 year old, I believe he was a trumpet player, and had previously marched Reading back in 1981.

• Like 2

yeah the Bucs crew will take those that can do the job. Age is not a determining factor

• Like 2

I think that's the culture of most of the top lines. As was stated, if you have the chops, the feet/legs and the attitude to keep up then I would go for it. If not, there are always corps looking for volunteers for both DCI and DCA. I know my back simply will NOT take marching another year so I've reached out to a DCI and DCA corps that I marched with previously to see what kind of help I can offer them. 

Did DCA from the other extreme as started when 16. Had members from teenage to guess early 40s. Just go in with a “we’re all the same” and ignore any age differences. You’re all working toward the same goal so deal with everyone the same when talking to them etc etc. IOW don’t be friendly to people close to your age and barely speak to the “kids”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

What the others have said... if you can do the job, DCA corps would love to have you.

A couple of years ago, the Caballeros had a horn player who was near 70. He did a great job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did DCA from the other extreme as started when 16. Had members from teenage to guess early 40s. Just go in with a “we’re all the same” and ignore any age differences. You’re all working toward the same goal so deal with everyone the same when talking to them etc etc. IOW don’t be friendly to people close to your age and barely speak to the “kids”.

So true, Jim. Profound. Maryland DCHOF member Ron Church made me feel at home as a 16 year old kid  at Westshore and I have never forgot. So did Norm, Benny, Pete, guys who were like 2-3 times my age. (Benny prolly 4X) I guess the unwritten rule is that we're all riding the same ship o' fools, we should look out for one another regardless of age in DCA.

• Like 2

I was 45 the first year I marched with the Cabs (1992). Marching drum corps was also on my bucket list though I did march in St. Lucy's for one year in 1966. I remember calling Post 199 on a rehearsal night and the person answering the phone was Jim Costello.  After a short conversation he said come on down to the next rehearsal we will find a place for you.  I'm sure the staff at Reading would say the same to you -- come on down we'll find a place for you.   I never felt out of place or not accepted by the much younger members.  If anything it was my own feelings of being "older" that made me hesitant. I marched through the 2003 season have made many friends "much younger than myself" that still remain in my life.  My advise to you Diddle is GO FOR IT!!! You never want to say to yourself I might have, I could have, I SHOULD HAVE!! --btw I've been with the Cabs Alumni since 2004 when I aged out of the competing corps at 57 LOL LOL  

Edited by LucyGuy66
  • Like 3