Question About DCA Culture

I can remember back in the late 70’s the Connecticut Hurricanes had a member of the color guard who marched well into his 80’s. I can’t remember the first name, it was either Harry or Harvey, but the last name was Olderman which as a high school kid I found amusing that the oldest member had the last name Olderman. Back then, I probably thought all of DCA was pushing 80 even though they were much younger. Now that I’m a few days shy of 56, even the members of the alumni corps look younger! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I can remember back in the late 70’s the Connecticut Hurricanes had a member of the color guard who marched well into his 80’s. I can’t remember the first name, it was either Harry or Harvey, but the last name was Olderman which as a high school kid I found amusing that the oldest member had the last name Olderman. Back then, I probably thought all of DCA was pushing 80 even though they were much younger. Now that I’m a few days shy of 56, even the members of the alumni corps look younger! 

There have been a lot of those elder statesmen over the years in just about every DCA corps, Tim. They provide an invaluable bridge between the new folks and the past.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

Harvey Olderman... one of DCA's all-time icons!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Harvey Olderman... one of DCA's all-time icons!!!

Yep captain of the Honor Guard. Lol as one of our elder members (started in a pre WWII kiddie corps in Baltimore) stated “think he ages 15 years every decade”. Hurrcs  field intro always seemed to end with “captain  of the Honor Guard ... years young”.

Rode with the drum truck and Bennie the driver was around 70.  Paul Geiger and I visited one day and he wanted to show us something. It was the VFW national trophy from 1952 and huge. Gives you a sense of history.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1