In The News – Women Take On Leadership Roles In Casper’s Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

While I do agree the issue is a little too politicized for political gain, for a young girl looking at DCI....this is ####### huge. As for the part about slaves etc. I have some strong views that both agree and disagree with what you said, but they would violate the forum guidelines to post. 

Thanks Jeff...that is my main point. I truly applaud this young woman for her accomplishment...not because of any political agenda.

34 minutes ago, dans said:

Thanks Jeff...that is my main point. I truly applaud this young woman for her accomplishment...not because of any political agenda.

I don't think Troop is trying to politicize this at all. I think they are just, and rightly so, celebrating a first in the organizations history

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

I've found that the people who complain the most about bringing politics into things are often the first ones to bring politics into things. This is a why we can't have nice things. :bleah:

Congrats, Kristy! Here's hoping you lead the Troopers to an outstanding season! 

In The News - Women Take On Leadership Roles In Casper's Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps. So the very title of this thread is not political at all...right! I have a bridge to sell you.

13 minutes ago, dans said:

In The News - Women Take On Leadership Roles In Casper's Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps. So the very title of this thread is not political at all...right! I have a bridge to sell you.

Imo it’s only political if you want to see something political in it. To my simple tailed view it’s about a certain western Drum Corps. But to each their own and the irony is Dan and I went to the same school district.

2 hours ago, dans said:

I understand the tradition of the Troopers. I remember being in awe of the Troopers in the 70's.  I applaud this young woman for becoming the first female head drum major of the Troopers. I'm sure she is very well qualified and deserving. The problem I have is that the current political climate (from the left) in America almost insinuates that women in America are still bound in chains and kept out of sight in the basement. This is absolute hogwash; however, some will argue that women in America are basically still slaves to men. Why do we continue to patronize women instead of celebrating how far they have come in our society. Oh well, that is my honest opinion on the subject...flame away if you must!

I think the example of George Hopkins in DCI, and Larry Nassar in gymnastics, and Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby (and numerous others) in entertainment, and Bill O'Reilly and Matt Lauer (and numerous others) in news, and many I will not name in politics, shows that the current cultural climate is a response to a very real and systematic situation, in which despite much progress, women were still being treated as second-class citizens. (Yes, there have also some cases of abusive behavior toward men and boys brought to light in recent years, for example at Penn State and Ohio State, but the overwhelming majority of the revelations have been about the treatment of women.) You're right: women have come far! But not as far as men. People who are truly empowered, fully engaged and fully respected members of society don't feel afraid for decades to report sexual abuse and sexual harassment.

Accordingly, I too salute the Troopers.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Imo it’s only political if you want to see something political in it. To my simple tailed view it’s about a certain western Drum Corps. But to each their own and the irony is Dan and I went to the same school district.

Well, on a positive note, I have not been called anti-women...yet!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think the example of George Hopkins in DCI, and Larry Nassar in gymnastics, and Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby (and numerous others) in entertainment, and Bill O'Reilly and Matt Lauer (and numerous others) in news, and many I will not name in politics, shows that the current cultural climate is a response to a very real and systematic situation, in which despite much progress, women were still being treated as second-class citizens. (Yes, there have also some cases of abusive behavior toward men and boys brought to light in recent years, for example at Penn State and Ohio State, but the overwhelming majority of the revelations have been about the treatment of women.) You're right: women have come far! But not as far as men. People who are truly empowered, fully engaged and fully respected members of society don't feel afraid for decades to report sexual abuse and sexual harassment.

Accordingly, I too salute the Troopers.

Many of us are treated as second-class citizens at some point in our lives. However, we all don't have an equal voice based on what group we are part of.

5 minutes ago, dans said:

Well, on a positive note, I have not been called anti-women...yet!

Lol I don’t see it in your posts...