In The News – Women Take On Leadership Roles In Casper’s Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps

6 minutes ago, dans said:

Thanks Jim!

Hey we can disagree but we try to do it respectfully. BTW I was a year behind you at East Jr. We never met but few years later someone pointed you out and said that’s the school you went to. Then in the great school district split up we went to different High Schools. 

14 hours ago, Cuban said:

Could it be that past Women who conducted had different titles?

Why is everyone so #### negative about any possible thing that ever occurs in DCI.  Good grief.

Roster for 2005 says "Drum Major: Mark Crimm & Melissa Mayhew".

Why is everyone so #### negative about any possible thing that ever occurs in DCI.  Good grief.

What?  How is it negative that Troopers actually broke the female DM glass ceiling 14 years earlier?

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Maybe I can explain how some may be viewing this. Troop, aka America's corps...has never had a female on the box.

Yes they have.  Melissa Mayhew was on the main podium for the latter two-thirds of the 2005 show.  She just was not lead drum major - Savannah Light will be the first female lead DM.

48 minutes ago, dans said:

Well, on a positive note, I have not been called anti-women...yet!

that's among the last things I have seen you called LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dans said:

Many of us are treated as second-class citizens at some point in our lives. However, we all don't have an equal voice based on what group we are part of.

Oh to be sure. And that should never happen to anyone. But the preponderance of recent evidence makes it clear that women in particular were (are) subject to being treated this way. Who is the female equivalent of Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein? Asia Argento, despicable as what she is alleged to have done is, comes nowhere close to either of those men.

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

It seems like we’re getting pretty testy responses to positive news, especially about a corps that is not usually high on the controversy list nor the drama list for that matter.

I think it's because there's some desire to understand how big of a story this might have been this time last year vs. the apparent heightened "celebration" of the news based on the impact of the #MeToo movement surfacing in drum corps since then.

I understand the question and haven't seen an understandable response to the query, yet.

Is the importance of the Trooper's announcement heightened due to the circumstances of the current #MeToo environment in drum corps?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is the importance of the Trooper's announcement heightened due to the circumstances of the current #MeToo environment in drum corps?

Yes I think so. More women in leadership positions is a message drum corps needs.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, dans said:

In The News - Women Take On Leadership Roles In Casper's Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps. So the very title of this thread is not political at all...right! I have a bridge to sell you.

Huh? 

Women take on leadership roles in Casper Troopers

How on earth is that “political”? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Huh? 

Women take on leadership roles in Casper Troopers

How on earth is that “political”? 

He goes on to explain what he meant. Given the current national climate, it's not so surprising that people see benign events through a political spectrum. As long as we keep trying to understand one another, we'll be OK.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

He goes on to explain what he meant. Given the current national climate, it's not so surprising that people see benign events through a political spectrum. As long as we keep trying to understand one another, we'll be OK.

Thanks. I should have read through everything before becoming triggered so to speak. Lol

• Like 1