US Open...Best Year?

I am partial to 1972 as that was our first year and what an experience it was! From seeing Anaheim Kingsmen, Blue Rock, Garfield Cadets, etc plus the Etobicoke Crusaders, St. Johns Girls, CapitolAires, Royal Crusaders and Charioteers, etc  What a few days of drum corps it was!!!

My only year with the full "U.S. Open experience"  (competing in prelims, then watching Open Class finals) was 1971... so I'll go with that.  LOL.

Great show that  night. Blue Rock, Madison Scouts, DeLaSalle Oaklands, St. Rita's Brassmen, Bridgemen, Cavaliers, Mighty St. Joe's, and more.

I wish I could find the Open Class prelims scores from that year... they're not on the DCX site.  My corps competed in Open that year, and it would be nice to remember where we finished.

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I wish I could find the Open Class prelims scores from that year... they're not on the DCX site.  My corps competed in Open that year, and it would be nice to remember where we finished.

I recall us discussing the fact that I remembered that a member of Sacred Heart got left at the stadium (was that you, Fran?) they were sitting in front of me at prelims that day.

Here are those 1971 US Open prelim scores, Fran:

Blue Rock--83.4

Madison--81.9

De La Salle--81.4

Cavaliers--81.2

Des Plaines--77.95

Bridgemen--77.55

St. Joe/Batavia--77.55

Brassmen--77.35

Cardinals--77.25

Nisei--76.1

Appleknockers--73.45

Shoreliners--72.8

St. Patrick Imperials--72.35

CMCC Warriors--72.05

Marion Cadets--71.55

Bon Bons--71.25

Scarborough Firefighters--70.85

Emerald Cadets--70.6

Knickerbockers--70.35

Magnificent Yankees--70.05

Purple Lancers--69.75

Pembroke Imperials--69.25

Polish Falcon Cadets--69.1

Blue Angels--68.85

Brookhaven Cru--68.1

L.I. Kingsmen--67.95

SACRED HEART CRU--67.3

Chessmen--66.9

Wynn Center Toppers--66.55

Marauders--65.3

Midlanders--65.15

Queen City Cadets--64.45

Mariners--63.7

Dukes--62.9

St. Ignatius Girls--62.7

32nd Hussar--62.5

Compagnons--61.5

Royal Lancers (MI)--60.45

IC Reveries--57.3

I would vote for any and all of the 3 years I attended the US Open...'71, '72 and '73.  Each had its merits!

In the rain in 1973 and 1974 (I believe). I know one of those years was raining

17 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

In the rain in 1973 and 1974 (I believe). I know one of those years was raining

1973 was one of the most intense rainstorms I've ever seen.  Blue Rock's beautiful uniforms were ruined when their black plumes ran onto their gold jackets.

They wore US Open t-shirts for their appearance at the rescheduled finals the next day.

I still have a reel-to-reel audio recording I did when the stadium announcer shouted out (to be heard above the rain),

"Keep your #### ticket stubs!!"  Probably one of the last times a rained-out DCI-sanctioned major championship show was redone the next day.

Edited by Northern Thunder

1 hour ago, Northern Thunder said:

I recall us discussing the fact that I remembered that a member of Sacred Heart got left at the stadium (was that you, Fran?) they were sitting in front of me at prelims that day.

Thank you for the prelims scores!!!  I remember we had a reasonably decent performance that day and a respectable score.  Beat one of our Eastern States Circuit rivals and were within shouting distance of a couple more.

I think the Crusader who got stranded at the stadium was my buddy George Setzer.  He posts on here from time to time.

43 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

1973 was one of the most intense rainstorms I've ever seen.  Blue Rock's beautiful uniforms were ruined when their black plumes ran onto their gold jackets.

That 1973 U.S. Open.... I had gone out to the Marion area with my parents and grandparents, after we (still with Sacred Heart Crusaders) had competed at the World Open.

The plan was... a few days' vacation in Ohio, then we'd meet the Crusaders out there for the Open. But, for whatever reason, the corps pulled out of the show.... so we had an unexpected extended vacation!!!

We went to the U.S. Open parade... first time I ever saw the Blue Devils.... and to the Class A finals.  Skipped all the Open Class stuff to do some sightseeing. 

Side note... we went to Columbus to see the zoo one of those days.... we were looking for a quick lunch, and several locals told us about a burger place that was quite a sensation in the area. A place we had never heard of, called Wendy's. :laughing:  Turned out it was one of the first, if not the first, Wendy's in the country!!!

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Side note... we went to Columbus to see the zoo one of those days.... we were looking for a quick lunch, and several locals told us about a burger place that was quite a sensation in the area. A place we had never heard of, called Wendy's. :laughing:  Turned out it was one of the first, if not the first, Wendy's in the country!!!

Funny you should mention Wendy's, Fran.  I just ate lunch there, and was thinking about the first Wendy's I ever ate at, in Marion, just before went to the rescheduled US Open finals in 73.

1 hour ago, Northern Thunder said:

Funny you should mention Wendy's, Fran.  I just ate lunch there, and was thinking about the first Wendy's I ever ate at, in Marion, just before went to the rescheduled US Open finals in 73.

Who knew that we were trend-setters then???   LOL

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Thank you for the prelims scores!!!  I remember we had a reasonably decent performance that day and a respectable score.  Beat one of our Eastern States Circuit rivals and were within shouting distance of a couple more.

I think the Crusader who got stranded at the stadium was my buddy George Setzer.  He posts on here from time to time.

I'm going to go with 71 because i saw a big chunk of prelims,  why?  BECAUSE I'M THE GUY WHO GOT LEFT BEHIND!!!!

I wanted to kill my seat mate, a drummer named Jack, remember him Fran?...his father was a cop in Manville....lol.  The drum line was a little ###### at him for some reason and if I remember correctly they practiced part of the show....on his stomach!!! when we were crossing the bridge into Wildwood at the AL States.  I remember I somehow got his wallet  and threw it out the window into the sound.😆

Years afterward , long after I stopped marching a friend of mine who marched Blue Rock told me I was a legend....lol

• Like 1