US Open...Best Year?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to comment on my one and only US Open appearance....1977.  I was in the Crossmen, and we narrowly

lost prelims by .05 to the Seneca Optimists.  Our school was nearly an hour away.  Around 8 PM, our director

is notified that the show is in rain-delay, and the weather didn't look good.  However, before midnite, we are informed

that the show is back on, and we left for the show.  There was one more delay after arriving.  Finally, we are lined

up and ready to go.  I checked my watch at the gate and then put it in my pocket....just short of 3 AM.  In the middle

of our opener, the rain opens up in buckets on us.  We are not stopped, and we continue to perform.  We actually did

a pretty good job in an absolute downpour.  As we left the field, the guard captain passed out in front of me......we had

a place in the show where the guard went down on their backs and the hornline went through in a company front.  When

she went to get up, her back was glued to the mud, and it took all of her strength to break the bond and get moving.

Seneca comes on, and it didn't rain a drop on them.  They did well.  We lost by 2 tenths, and won save for penalties

on dropped equipment because of the rain challenge.  I found out later that the committee was determined to get the show

in, as many of the touring corps had to get on their way and/or had Sunday shows.  We blew out nearly every electrical socket

in our school as we used hair dryers to try and dry out uniforms and flags.  Still, it was fun.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

All of the years were my favorites. I grew up on Walnut St which is the street most of the Corps came down. It ended at the stadium. I had the luxury of enjoying the US Open every year it was there. It started the year I was born in 1966. Truly loved it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...