George Hopkins removed from DCI Hall of Fame

On 8/24/2019 at 11:45 PM, Jeff Ream said:

it was in no way a brush off. you know if i wanted to brush you off, I'd do it, do it well, and royally tick you off. I gave you a straight, blunt honest answer. You didn't like the answer, and as is your MO, you try and make a mountain out of molehill over it.

However if it helps you sleep better at night, I saw Hall member tonight. I asked why Hop is still in....he said as far as he knew the board was watching and waiting. Makes sense. Also asked why Bonfiglio wasn't in. The response: " Good question. Wonder if he was ever nominated".

there, same answer, more words. Oh, and still could give a rats ### about the Hall, because of the associate member things and how cronyism it looks.

I thought about the Good Ole Boy aspect of it, and yep- there is that feel... the one thing it does do is have a pretty solid list of Pre DCI  and DCA era individuals on board as well as more modern DCA people- to be honest, a lot of them are very deserving and would otherwise be flushed down the memory hole. It strikes me that in some DCI circles, anything before 1972 didn't happen. 

A lot like any HoF, folks will argue under the Sun who should and should not be in it.

8 hours ago, BigW said:

I thought about the Good Ole Boy aspect of it, and yep- there is that feel... the one thing it does do is have a pretty solid list of Pre DCI  and DCA era individuals on board as well as more modern DCA people- to be honest, a lot of them are very deserving and would otherwise be flushed down the memory hole. It strikes me that in some DCI circles, anything before 1972 didn't happen. 

A lot like any HoF, folks will argue under the Sun who should and should not be in it.

Well, they did induct Sie Lurye In 2002 and he’s well before 1972. 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:51 PM, rjohn76 said:

The precedent is there in other sports/activities to keep people in the Hall of Fame despite legal issues that later ensued. 

One perfect example is O.J. Simpson.  He remains in the Pro Football Hall of Fame despite all that has happened after his playing days were over.  In that particular case, it was stated that "on field" achievements and/or contributions were the only factors that are taken into consideration with respect to membership in the Hall of Fame. 

Another example is Michael Jackson.  The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has refused to remove him based on similar reasoning.  They indicated that his excellence in music and impact on rock and roll merit him being in the Hall of Fame.

Given the significant contributions/effects that George Hopkins had on the drum & bugle corps activity, they could rather easily justify him remaining in the Hall of Fame just by following the logic used in the high profile examples listed above.

The precedent DCI and drum corps should follow should  be non profit educational examples. DCI has more in common with educational enterprises and youth activities than it does professional athletics or professional music. Would a high school or college/university keep someone with similar accusations in a hall of game? The answer in most cases would be no, and it happens somewhat often. A nearby high school recently removed an athletic hall of fame member who was caught driving under the influence. Coaches who allow hazing, either directly or by turning a blind eye, are fired and in some cases removed from halls of fame. 

12 hours ago, BigW said:

Exactly.

And I took a fairly quick look at the membership pages...a lot to scroll through.  LOL.

Among the DCI luminaries in the WDCHOF are folks like Dr. Bernard Baggs, Steve Brubaker, Don Angelica, Michael Cesario, Gino Cipriani, Gail Royer, Bobby Hoffman, Dennis DeLucia, Frank Dorritie, Shirley Stratton Dorritie, Wayne Downey, Jim Elvord, Pete Emmons, Rodney Goodhart, Thom Hannum, Ralph Hardimon, Jim Jones, Scott Johnson, Dave Kampschroer, Billy Kauffman, Mo Kazazian, Larry Kerchner, Eric Landis, Jim Mallen, John Meehan, Ken Norman, Jim Ott, Ralph Pace, Don Pesceone, Dan Acheson, Charlie Poole, Jeff Prosperie, Rob Robinson (Sr. and Jr.), Carl Ruocco, Jeff Sacktig, Ted Sciarra, John Simpson, Scott Stewart, Ed Teleky, Chris Thompson, Mark Thurston, George Tuthill, Don Warren, and John Zimny.

I may have missed a few.  A reasonably comprehensive list of great names from DCI.

Missing several, I'm sure, like George Bonfiglio....John Brazale is another who comes to mind... but if you are upset about that, SUBMIT A NOMINATION. Like I said earlier... the info on how to do that is all there on the website.  Much better than years ago, when it was an insider "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" sort of process.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow. I decided, like some other people (NOT Terri)... to take a look at the primary source. Who's in the DCI HoF primarily for their pre-DCI achievements or achievements outside of DCI involvement? I thought about Truman Crawford, but he was one of the top judges in DCI and DCA in the 70's.... James Costello, mainly DCA...Clarence Beebe, Len Piekarski, Uncertain on Barry Bell, Dick Brown, Don Porter, Emil Pavlik, and Sie Lurye. 129 total members, and I'm seeing 8-10 that were mainly inducted on the weight of their pre-1972 or outside of DCI achievements. Under 10 percent.

Edited by BigW

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not to be cynical, but many times when a person is inducted to a Hall of Fame, donations follow. No DCI H of F members has ever shared their financials with me, nor have they let me know  if they have wealthy friends who donated to drum corps, so I cannot speak of DCI specifically, but it is a possibility as to why some people are members, and it happens all the time. Hall of Fame inductions are often fund raisers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Not to be cynical, but many times when a person is inducted to a Hall of Fame, donations follow. No DCI H of F members has ever shared their financials with me, nor have they let me know  if they have wealthy friends who donated to drum corps, so I cannot speak of DCI specifically, but it is a possibility as to why some people are members, and it happens all the time. Hall of Fame inductions are often fund raisers.

Definitely the DCI HoF induction dinner is a fundraiser where the honoree is "anticipated" to fill a certain amount of tables while FoDCI fill most, and wannabees others.

The DCI HoF Dinner is usually the night before Indy prelims which also means another night of hotel costs in over-priced Indy. Though I've known well many of the honorees over the years and would gladly pay them tribute (pun,) I stopped being invited when the wallet was no longer flush. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Definitely the DCI HoF induction dinner is a fundraiser where the honoree is "anticipated" to fill a certain amount of tables while FoDCI fill most, and wannabees others.

The DCI HoF Dinner is usually the night before Indy prelims which also means another night of hotel costs in over-priced Indy. Though I've known well many of the honorees over the years and would gladly pay them tribute (pun,) I stopped being invited when the wallet was no longer flush. 

I have no idea how the WDCHOF thing works, when it comes to filling tables and so forth.

Last time I attended the WDCHOF banquet/ceremony was in 1996 when my old friend John Arietano was inducted. Actually was there in 2014, as part of the Reilly Raiders alumni corps' honor guard to present the colors at the start of the banquet... a pretty cool, and quick, gig!!!