George Hopkins removed from DCI Hall of Fame

I understand removing George Hopkins.  It’s a “Me Too” moment for Drum Corps and I’m glad.  However, if DCI is really serious about this there’s another name that needs to be removed too.  I doubt they've forgotten about it but I'm sure the victims haven't.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I understand removing George Hopkins.  It’s a “Me Too” moment for Drum Corps and I’m glad.  However, if DCI is really serious about this there’s another name that needs to be removed too.  I doubt they've forgotten about it but I'm sure the victims haven't.  

Did you ask for their removal?  We had to start a petition and it took time, but it worked.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

OJ was acquitted.   And he was definitely guilty. 

I honestly don’t understand why an acquittal even matters for the HOF.  It shouldn’t, because the individual would have no legal recourse against the board.  It’s a privilege, not a right to be nominated and it should come with that stipulation that it could be taken away.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

until anything comes out publicly, it'll be a tough call to make

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Spinning said:

Did you ask for their removal?  We had to start a petition and it took time, but it worked.

I'll let someone else lead that charge as it didn't happen to me and it wasn't even my corps.  The kids, now adults, are the ones that would need to speak out - if they want to.  I understand if they don't. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Spinning said:

Why? Acquitted doesn’t mean not guilty.

Okay, what if he is found not guilty.

I just think that we need to go all the way through the process before removing him from all these places.

I mean, I believe the people coming forward, but I don't know any of the facts, and we haven't gone through the legal process.

...and I'll be extremely upset if anyone thinks that I don't believe the people coming forward.

....and btw, the Cambridge dictionary says acquit is:

acquitverb [ T ]
 US  /əˈkwɪt/ -tt-

acquit verb [ T ] (DECIDE NOT GUILTY)

to decide officially in a court of law that someone is not guilty of a particular crime:

She was acquitted.
The jury acquitted him.

Edited by jjeffeory

3 hours ago, Spinning said:

Nevermind

Edited by jjeffeory

15 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Actually, that's exactly what it means.

What do you mean by your statement? I'm just curious, as my knee jerk reaction was to totally agree with you, but then I thought about it and that doesn't make sense.

I can't speak for Spinning, but Terri nails it, I think: plenty of guilty people get acquitted (and, even more sadly, plenty of innocent people get convicted: sometimes celebrities even buy full-age ads in newspapers calling for them to be executed, and they go to jail for years, and then someone else is found to have committed the crime).

• Like 1