George Hopkins removed from DCI Hall of Fame

40 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The charges are in PA so the NJ SoL changes don't apply.  Unless there were assaults during the Cadets NJ period that a prosecutor there is willing to press charges on.   

From the timeline of events in the first article in the inquirer, the Cadets were still in New Jersey when some of the assaults occurred.  That’s why I researched NJ. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

From the timeline of events in the first article in the inquirer, the Cadets were still in New Jersey when some of the assaults occurred.  That’s why I researched NJ. 

the court case tho is only for PA incidents. so if NJ's statutes are more generous, someone should have field there.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The charges are in PA so the NJ SoL changes don't apply.  Unless there were assaults during the Cadets NJ period that a prosecutor there is willing to press charges on.   

There were assaults when the Cadets were in Garfield.  I’m sure there were assaults when they were in Hackensack too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the court case tho is only for PA incidents. so if NJ's statutes are more generous, someone should have field there.

The statutes in New Jersey were not extended until 5/19.  The bill goes into effect 12/19. Charges were filed in Pennsylvania November 2018, I believe.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

1 hour ago, Spinning said:

There were assaults when the Cadets were in Garfield.  I’m sure there were assaults when they were in Hackensack too. 

59 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The statutes in New Jersey were not extended until 5/19.  The bill goes into effect 12/19. Charges were filed in Pennsylvania November 2018, I believe.

I am not a lawyer but I have played one on television, so here goes:

For charges to be filed in NJ, the police & DA would need to investigate, including interviewing victims & witnesses.  It will be critical to establish that the crimes happened in NJ during the time allowed by the SoL.  This would need to be something like motel records, video footage, or something like that with a date that can be proven.  YEA left NJ in 2003 - 16 years ago.  Getting corroborating evidence is gonna be tough.  But it could happen.  State of NJ is not going to file charges unless they think they will win.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I am not a lawyer but I have played one on television, so here goes:

For charges to be filed in NJ, the police & DA would need to investigate, including interviewing victims & witnesses.  It will be critical to establish that the crimes happened in NJ during the time allowed by the SoL.  This would need to be something like motel records, video footage, or something like that with a date that can be proven.  YEA left NJ in 2003 - 16 years ago.  Getting corroborating evidence is gonna be tough.  But it could happen.  State of NJ is not going to file charges unless they think they will win.  

But they would have to wait until December anyway. 

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

True.  But how would that work?  There are still a dozen accusers.  Only two of them are slated to go to trial.

As of now there are no active  criminal charges beyond those that  are part of the upcoming trial. The other accusers would have to come forward and lodge a criminal complaint...once the new law goes into effect that widens the window for the statute of limitations. Then the legal process would begin all over for the new complaints. 

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I have read of those recent changes...WAAAY overdue, IMO. 

Not as overdue as this one.  Passed just this past June. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/445519-texas-lawmakers-pass-bill-criminalizing-groping

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3