George Hopkins removed from DCI Hall of Fame

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

for all we know, the hall president recused himself from any discussions of Hopkins given the ties. I can tell you looking at that list, there's not a gaggle of blind Hopkins apologists.

That is putting it mildly, with some of those names!!!  LOL

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - I saw that too.  Court cased get postponed & rescheduled (the legal system calls it 'continued') quite often - sometimes for years.

I am still on-track w/ my prediction we will know the 2020 DCI champion before any trial actually starts.

Jim agrees.  That’s a lot of billable hours. 

51 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Keep thinking of this with seeing posts about DCI should show recordings and DCP concern about lawsuits over posts.

Had a distant family member got caught up in a sting the state ran against businesses like his. Appears state wanted two biggies but sucked in 6 others (including family member) to make things less obvious. The biggies kept dragging things out and all 8 had to go to all the appeal hearing$. Finally the lesser 6 could see they would probably be found innocent but would be broke by then. Quick plea bargain for probation later and lesser 6 were done paying thru the nose for lawyers.

Moral you can be innocent and still lose your ### if you go to court. Big reason why DCI doesn’t want to take the chance.

yeah different from gh mindset but reminded me...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I don’t know. I’m not in the hall. Ask a member. 

i'm not asking, i don't care one way or the other. they lost me with the associate member stuff. that to me was good old boy to the extreme.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

To be fair it is could also be in part scheduling issues.  Although those in the Drum Corps universe are watching the case with some interest, for the prosecutor, and esp judge, it is just one of many cases they are currently juggling.  They need to make the schedules align, and although they can estimate how long a particular case will take that can always change, and schedule will have to adapt.

Billable hours applies to the defendant, as the State pays the prosecutor.  I have heard of cases where the defendant wastes many billable hours ranting to defense counsel about how unfair it is, etc, and attorney is happy to listen at $800+/hr (according to Google that is abt where criminal defense lawyers rates begin).

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Keep thinking of this with seeing posts about DCI should show recordings and DCP concern about lawsuits over posts.

Had a distant family member got caught up in a sting the state ran against businesses like his. Appears state wanted two biggies but sucked in 6 others (including family member) to make things less obvious. The biggies kept dragging things out and all 8 had to go to all the appeal hearing$. Finally the lesser 6 could see they would probably be found innocent but would be broke by then. Quick plea bargain for probation later and lesser 6 were done paying thru the nose for lawyers.

Moral you can be innocent and still lose your ### if you go to court. Big reason why DCI doesn’t want to take the chance.

yeah different from gh mindset but reminded me...

I have read that 90+% of criminal cases plea out, in part for reason you describe.  I do know that the more time a prosecutor (who have a lot of cases they work on simultaneously) puts in, the less lenient the plea deal they will offer. 

I have gut feeling how this could work out for the case at hand, but it is just speculation.  Too bad there is not some DCP gizmo that lets us do the electronic equivalent of writing something down & sealing in envelope, only to be opened once the facts play out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have read that 90+% of criminal cases plea out, in part for reason you describe.  I do know that the more time a prosecutor (who have a lot of cases they work on simultaneously) puts in, the less lenient the plea deal they will offer. 

Not sure who brought up the plea deal for the family member but state seemed to be agreeable. Of course that gave the state more resources to go after the 2 they really wanted. And those 2 did jail time but never quite sure for what.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To be fair it is could also be in part scheduling issues.  Although those in the Drum Corps universe are watching the case with some interest, for the prosecutor, and esp judge, it is just one of many cases they are currently juggling.  They need to make the schedules align, and although they can estimate how long a particular case will take that can always change, and schedule will have to adapt.

Billable hours applies to the defendant, as the State pays the prosecutor.  I have heard of cases where the defendant wastes many billable hours ranting to defense counsel about how unfair it is, etc, and attorney is happy to listen at $800+/hr (according to Google that is abt where criminal defense lawyers rates begin).

I was thinking of the defendant. 

• Like 1

I knew I should have gone to law school. $800/hr buys a lot of M&Ms. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Haha 3