Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

18 hours ago, MikeD said:

The very design process that includes using fake guns pointing at people is just ridiculous in this day and age. No possible excuse for this, IMO.

Just thinking how one carefully selected still photo of 1971 or 1972 Garfield Cadets, taken out of context, could give the entirely wrong impression of what those shows were about...

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Was it a political statement?  What was the statement being made?

Guns are inherently political...stepping into a quagmire there.

2 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

• 1980 Bridgemen - Not really controversial, but odd: following their final's performance, the corps stripped down to Alabama/Auburn jerseys and did a football scrimmage.  They were booed off the field. 

PBS feed cut just as the “teams” were lining up so no idea there was a problem. There was a scheduled break after their performance so it looked like goofy Bridgemen doing it again.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Just thinking how one carefully selected still photo of 1971 or 1972 Garfield Cadets, taken out of context, could give the entirely wrong impression of what those shows were about...

Hmmmmm....interesting thought. I think, and I need to review the videos I have of both shows, that there was never any time that individual rifles were directly aimed at an individual, though I can't be 100% sure. The only "firearms" in either  show were standard drum corps rifles that were not realistic in any event. 

We did have stylized battle sequences in both shows, for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

This may require a separate topic, but...what drum corps show do you recall being "controversial?" Maybe I haven't given this enough thought, but I can list three instances:

• 1970 Garfield Cadets where the corps formed a peace sign on the field. Corps director said it was the trademark for Mercedes Benz. 

Am I missing any others? Hopefully, we will not see social justice themes in corps shows going forward. 

While the VFW powers-that-be stated publically that we did not deserve to compete in Miami at VFW Nats, the members certainly felt differently. I could not believe the flashbulbs and roar of the crowd when we hit the stands in the Peace Sign, performed to "White Rabbit", by the way.

They were depicting a scene from the movie John Q.  

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2018/oct/06/forest-hill-band-shooting-skit-draws-rebuke-jackso/

Unfortunately, the only photo shown in ANY story on this is the one.  I’ve seen ZERO video of of this show, not even of this part of the show.  It’s being taken out of context.  That doesn’t mean that it wasn’t insensitive, but it’s out of context.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, madscout96 said:

They were depicting a scene from the movie John Q.  

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2018/oct/06/forest-hill-band-shooting-skit-draws-rebuke-jackso/

Unfortunately, the only photo shown in ANY story on this is the one.  I’ve seen ZERO video of of this show, not even of this part of the show.  It’s being taken out of context.  That doesn’t mean that it wasn’t insensitive, but it’s out of context.  

That is one reason you would never design a show that includes such a scene with realistic guns aimed at an individual on the ground. They CHOSE to design the show; they did not have to include that moment in the manner they did. dd to it the fact that the person on the ground is a police officer, and two had just been killed, and there is NO good way to spin that. 

• Like 1