Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

Hey, I live in Brookhaven and I can add a little information to this. The show that Forest Hill band performed was in reference to the movie John Q. The image that is going around happened towards the end of the show. The picture does not represent them shooting cops at all. I have seen the full video and it has been taken out of context. The show has been performed a number of times before they came to Brookhaven. The four band members on the ground got up and ran away. Those holding the guns put them down and started praying. Instead of using the toy guns, they could have used rifles. But the photo has been taken out of context. Yes, we did lose two officers but the FH show was nothing in reference to that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2018 at 8:16 PM, MikeD said:

The very design process that includes using fake guns pointing at people is just ridiculous in this day and age. No possible excuse for this, IMO.

I'd be curious to know if people feel any differently about Carolina Crown's 2016 show now than they did two years ago. A number of fake guns were pointed at people in that production. A number of fans here were upset when the corps changed the ending so that the hero didn't shoot the villain.

(I'm not saying that show, set in the past, needs to treated as equivalent to this show, set in the present. Or in the recent past?)

• Like 2

I'm curious as to why a marching band show would be designed as an homage to a 16-year-old movie that received unfavorable reviews, no awards, and was 39th that year in box office performance.

1 hour ago, btown50 said:

Hey, I live in Brookhaven and I can add a little information to this. The show that Forest Hill band performed was in reference to the movie John Q. The image that is going around happened towards the end of the show. The picture does not represent them shooting cops at all. I have seen the full video and it has been taken out of context. The show has been performed a number of times before they came to Brookhaven. The four band members on the ground got up and ran away. Those holding the guns put them down and started praying. Instead of using the toy guns, they could have used rifles. But the photo has been taken out of context. Yes, we did lose two officers but the FH show was nothing in reference to that. 

I had read some of that too. However, it shows why programming that sort of visual moment is just a  very bad idea. It is just so very easy to misinterpret things. I've been around 1/2-time shows since 1968 in one form or another. Football crowds are not normally as dialed-in to the band as we might like. They chat with each other, get a snack, hang out, etc...and sometimes take a quick look at the field. They see realistic looking guns being pointed at a police officer and it takes off from there.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd be curious to know if people feel any differently about Carolina Crown's 2016 show now than they did two years ago. A number of fake guns were pointed at people in that production. A number of fans here were upset when the corps changed the ending so that the hero didn't shoot the villain.

(I'm not saying that show, set in the past, needs to treated as equivalent to this show, set in the present. Or in the recent past?)

Great point. I know most did not like the ending change. It did not really bother me, actually. I also think that the audience at a drum corps show is a different animal from a football crowd, so that might make a difference as well. However, I do wonder if that type of visual depiction would fly today. Relentless happens to be one of my favorite shows, either ending.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

This may require a separate topic, but...what drum corps show do you recall being "controversial?" Maybe I haven't given this enough thought, but I can list three instances:

• 1970 Garfield Cadets where the corps formed a peace sign on the field. Corps director said it was the trademark for Mercedes Benz. 
  • 1980 27th Lancers - Their show was exactly the same of their 1979 show. There was a lot of talk about the corps taking an easy approach to perfect the'79 show. 
  • 1980 Bridgemen - Not really controversial, but odd: following their final's performance, the corps stripped down to Alabama/Auburn jerseys and did a football scrimmage.  They were booed off the field. 

Am I missing any others? Hopefully, we will not see social justice themes in corps shows going forward. 

Look at your DVDs again. There are significant differences between 1979 and 1980 Lancers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

This may require a separate topic, but...what drum corps show do you recall being "controversial?" Maybe I haven't given this enough thought, but I can list three instances:

• 1970 Garfield Cadets where the corps formed a peace sign on the field. Corps director said it was the trademark for Mercedes Benz. 
  • 1980 27th Lancers - Their show was exactly the same of their 1979 show. There was a lot of talk about the corps taking an easy approach to perfect the'79 show. 
  • 1980 Bridgemen - Not really controversial, but odd: following their final's performance, the corps stripped down to Alabama/Auburn jerseys and did a football scrimmage.  They were booed off the field. 

Am I missing any others? Hopefully, we will not see social justice themes in corps shows going forward. 

I don’t remember any booing for Bayonne 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Great point. I know most did not like the ending change. It did not really bother me, actually. I also think that the audience at a drum corps show is a different animal from a football crowd, so that might make a difference as well. However, I do wonder if that type of visual depiction would fly today. Relentless happens to be one of my favorite shows, either ending.

Scholastic vs independent 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t remember any booing for Bayonne 

Me neither. I remember just the opposite, actually.

Heck, it was at the same field where the Alabama-Auburn game was held for many years.