Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

4 hours ago, whitedj2002 said:

My point EXACTLY, those of you upset with my post have not SEEN this bands show and have no idea what they TRIED to convey. I haven't seen the show EITHER but I am not about to connect my cousins death with some kids with toy guns. As to my "holier than thou comment", I've seen "snowflakes" and the like being bantered around here by the old "guard".  When a show moves someone in a positive way we reward, praise and extol them,  don't like it the governor issues a statement and rednecks on Instagram berate them. Sounds like we need to break out the tassels, shakos and stick to Sousa, for some. I never said this show wasn't in poor taste or missed the mark in communicating their sentiment, but I think we owe EVERYONE the opportunity to express and explain themselves. Enjoy the hotdog, don't get mustard on your shirt...

This has nothing to do with the thematic ideas of the show. It is only about the use of realistic-looking firearms on the field, especially  in the threatening way they were used in this show. They could have gotten a similar idea across without the guns. The  thematic ideas of the show is irrelevant to the discussion. Your attempt to lump people who disagree with you into the same bucket as those who talk about "snowflakes", etc...is in poor taste and totally unfair. Some of us are very modern in our viewpoints, but we realize that in 2018 you just can't bring even toy guns onto the field, especially in a scholastic setting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

This has nothing to do with the thematic ideas of the show. It is only about the use of realistic-looking firearms on the field, especially  in the threatening way they were used in this show. They could have gotten a similar idea across without the guns. The  thematic ideas of the show is irrelevant to the discussion. Your attempt to lump people who disagree with you into the same bucket as those who talk about "snowflakes", etc...is in poor taste and totally unfair. Some of us are very modern in our viewpoints, but we realize that in 2018 you just can't bring even toy guns onto the field, especially in a scholastic setting.

What I can't get over is the comment that everyone should be allowed to express themselves. Followed by the go get a hot dog if you don't like it. Poster did not end with "and don't say anything" but coming across that way.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

There was a lot of unhappiness in 76 the first year they wore the banana unis. I was at their home show in Bayonne, and the comments were pretty bad from some, esp old timers

I was at World Open and CYO Nationals that year. I can't remember too much of a negative reaction at World Open, but I can remember a distinct reaction at CYO Nationals. The audience went wild, especially with the "Chorus Line" ending, while people around me thought it was the end of drum corps.

I do remember on the bus ride home from CYO Nationals, a group of us told the drill instructor of our CYO band we wanted a show just like the Bridgemen, though I said I wanted a show like 27th, which could have cost me my life at that time since our percussion instructor was a former Boston Crusader, a Hall of Famer who I believe still held in high esteem in the organization (27th and North Star were fighting words, though Bridgemen and Garfield were pretty close too). Well, he obliged our request, invited us to come to practice the following night and hour early so we could get started on next year's show. We then had to do an hours worth of extra warm up exercises and drill basics because that's what Bridgemen and 27th did to be perfect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Never heard about a coffin but year before i heard about corps. Did hear people say Requiem the way Reading played it wasn't drum corps. Too quiet and not at 120bpm. Great solo though.

Supposedly Buccs had a color (Honor?) guard using different countries flags very early 70s. Included a USSR flag which upset some folks. Wonder what Greater Reading VFW thought.

I know there were some rather pithy comments about a coffin of some sort from a couple of ex Y-R "characters" at Westshore.

• Thanks 1

In 1972, the CT Hurricanes did a color presentation production featuring the flags of the five major U.N. nations during that era ... United States, Britain, France, USSR, and China.

There were short music segments reminiscent of each nation. And the production began and ended with the "The Impossible Dream"... the underlying message being "if we all work together, we can have peace." I thought it was brilliant... ahead of its time. One of the best color presentations I've ever seen.

But from what I understand... early that season, before people figured out what was going on, some folks were not happy seeing the hammer and sickle and Chinese flag on the field.

Edited by Fran Haring

Hmm, Mike, you're right about the scholastic issues with guns. Controversy is obviously just one short step away.

Then again... MBI's 2012 show did feature Bonnie and Clyde gunned down by G-Man Roger Grupp using a (obviously a cartoonish prop) tommy gun complete with bullet holes popping out of their car and Bonnie and Clyde falling out of the car dead at the end of the show...

Speaking of hammer and sickle, this band from South-Central PA raised a ruckus a few years back....

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/145690/marching-orders-high-school-bands-communist-arnold-ahlert

And as my way of protest, when I play World of Tanks... all of the Soviet and Chinese Red Stars are covered by other insignias...even stuck a Czech flag in protest on one of them. Personal thing, I guess. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigW said:

Speaking of hammer and sickle, this band from South-Central PA raised a ruckus a few years back....

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/145690/marching-orders-high-school-bands-communist-arnold-ahlert

And as my way of protest, when I play World of Tanks... all of the Soviet and Chinese Red Stars are covered by other insignias...even stuck a Czech flag in protest on one of them. Personal thing, I guess. :satisfied:

Oh yeah and right in the middle of the PA "T" forgot about that one....

10 minutes ago, BigW said:

I know there were some rather pithy comments about a coffin of some sort from a couple of ex Y-R "characters" at Westshore.

Actually, Jim... I think you were there with me when Brother Dave waxed poetic about that as well as his rather riled up and crazed thoughts on another corps in 1979 that beat Jesus on the field to the "39 Lashes" tune from Jesus Christ, Superstar".