Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh yeah and right in the middle of the PA "T" forgot about that one....

An indoor percussion group I occasionally consulted with did a show about the rise and fall of communism in the mid-90's, and the message was pretty much about how it was flatly rejected, not embraced.

There are ways to bring up certain touchy subjects with some deeper thought and design.

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

This has nothing to do with the thematic ideas of the show. It is only about the use of realistic-looking firearms on the field, especially  in the threatening way they were used in this show. They could have gotten a similar idea across without the guns. The  thematic ideas of the show is irrelevant to the discussion. Your attempt to lump people who disagree with you into the same bucket as those who talk about "snowflakes", etc...is in poor taste and totally unfair. Some of us are very modern in our viewpoints, but we realize that in 2018 you just can't bring even toy guns onto the field, especially in a scholastic setting.

I never said the use of a realistic gun was appropriate. 

I reread my comments and stand by them on principle. 

I reread everyone's comments and see others have options that differ or agree, at various levels and I'm ok with that.

Your (and others) are quick to say my opinion is irrelevant and that I lump people together or I have poor taste and am totally unfair.  

Ad hominem takes many forms...

I feel like a SONIC hot dog after all this nonsense

am I going to get another warning because I go against the "establishment"

49 minutes ago, BigW said:

Actually, Jim... I think you were there with me when Brother Dave waxed poetic about that as well as his rather riled up and crazed thoughts on another corps in 1979 that beat Jesus on the field to the "39 Lashes" tune from Jesus Christ, Superstar".

OMG I forgot that... Bucknell show and Hershman saying "You think we're tough when you are late for practice. Crusaders beat you". Whole stadium quiet because it was a somber part of the show and we're laughing cuz Larry made a joke. Don't think that bit made it to Finals weekend.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

Your (and others) are quick to say my opinion is irrelevant....

Missed seeing that part and am being serious...

24 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

I never said the use of a realistic gun was appropriate. 

I reread my comments and stand by them on principle. 

I reread everyone's comments and see others have options that differ or agree, at various levels and I'm ok with that.

Your (and others) are quick to say my opinion is irrelevant and that I lump people together or I have poor taste and am totally unfair.  

Ad hominem takes many forms...

I feel like a SONIC hot dog after all this nonsense

am I going to get another warning because I go against the "establishment"

Where did I, or anyone here, say your opinion is irrelevant? For me, it is dead wrong, but you can hold whatever opinion you wish.

You absolutely did lump people together unfairly...in my own opinion...with your snowflake and old timer comments about those who disagree with you.

Nothing wrong with bucking the "establishment", whatever that is. This thread is about the use of realistic-looking guns in a scholastic band environment. Whatever the theme is, there are other ways to convey the desired point without that element. 

• Thanks 2

This is not the first time a high school band show caused controversy. Wasn’t there a high school that put on a show where the uniforms looked like Nazi soldier conducted by a Hitler looking drum major?

Another one from the "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time" department...

Back in the 80's I was judging a band contest in Connecticut, and one of the bands opened with the theme from "Robin Hood". They had a band parent wearing a Robin Hood costume stationed in one end zone, and as the show started the parent shot a REAL hunting arrow over the top of the band.

I don't know how many muscles the chief judge pulled in trying to race over to the guy to make sure he did not shoot any more....and the band director of the band was blasted by just about everybody.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, MikeD said:

Back in the 80's I was judging a band contest in Connecticut, and one of the bands opened with the theme from "Robin Hood".

Which one? This one? This one? This one?

(Lately every time I try to embed videos here I get an error message. Anybody else finding that to be true?)

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which one? This one? This one? This one?

(Lately every time I try to embed videos here I get an error message. Anybody else finding that to be true?)

The 1991 Prince of Thieves version There was a popular stock chart of the theme, used by a lot of bands.

Hopefully none of the others included a live bow and arrow.  😎

On 10/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, MikeD said:

Another one from the "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time" department...

Back in the 80's I was judging a band contest in Connecticut, and one of the bands opened with the theme from "Robin Hood". They had a band parent wearing a Robin Hood costume stationed in one end zone, and as the show started the parent shot a REAL hunting arrow over the top of the band.

I don't know how many muscles the chief judge pulled in trying to race over to the guy to make sure he did not shoot any more....and the band director of the band was blasted by just about everybody.

Holy mackerel... that almost sounds like something out of a Monty Python sketch. Totally bizarre, and really dumb!!!

• Like 1