Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

On 10/8/2018 at 10:41 AM, DFA1970 said:

I'm sorry but how is this a subject in DCI World Class discussion page? Maybe a new thread about high school/college bands? Yeah...I don't think this would ever happen in DCI.

don't be so sure. Lord knows guard costuming has been a huge issue in the past, Crowns ending the other year....

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, MikeD said:

There was a lot of unhappiness in 76 the first year they wore the banana unis. I was at their home show in Bayonne, and the comments were pretty bad from some, esp old timers

76 yeah we are discussing the Bama/Auburn "football" game in 80

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't be so sure. Lord knows guard costuming has been a huge issue in the past, Crowns ending the other year....

Or the original guard "choreography" from the "Letter From Home" segment of the "ABC's of Modern Music show from the 80's..... a real what in sam scratch were they thinking!!!! moment if ever I saw one.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, BigW said:

Actually, Jim... I think you were there with me when Brother Dave waxed poetic about that as well as his rather riled up and crazed thoughts on another corps in 1979 that beat Jesus on the field to the "39 Lashes" tune from Jesus Christ, Superstar".

and that whipee later became our director

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and that whipee later became our director

Now that’s punishment lol

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

The 1991 Prince of Thieves version There was a popular stock chart of the theme, used by a lot of bands.

Hopefully none of the others included a live bow and arrow.  😎

Ah yes, I played that in college marching band in the fall of 1991. No bows and arrows in our show.

But I hope the band that you judged got top marks in General Effect, given that you wrote that they played that piece "back in the 80s" -- way to bury the lede that they had a time machine!

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Now that’s punishment lol

well it is Rippon

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

76 yeah we are discussing the Bama/Auburn "football" game in 80

Heh... I wonder if the Bridgemen, in today's world, could get away with the South "winning" the Civil War, like they did at Birmingham in 1979.

When The Bridgemen found out that DCI was to be held in Birmingham, they specifically made the "Civil War" part of their '79. And at the very end of the "battle," the Confederate flag was flying SLIGHTLY higher than the Union flag. The crowd ate it up. Then they finished up with "Johnny Comes Marching Home" or...."Battle Hymn of the Republic." Can't remember.