Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

18 hours ago, boxingfred said:

This is some stupid S#!t. Drum Corps depict killings all the time. This was a segment of a show that depicted holding characters at gunpoint.  I would love to see the whole show. Get off your P. C. soapbox and look at the shows you've marched, Applauded for and put in your favorites list.

Let's not lump show depicting violence in history (Spartacus, Bonnie and Clyde), opera/musicals (West Side Story) with anything depicting violence in society today (hospitals/schools/workplace).

Still have no idea of the reasons for the guns in a John Q show. Has anyone seen the show to explain as movie was about costs of medical care.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 hours ago, Tim K said:

I said a few years back in a post there is no way a Civil War show where the South wins would be fielded today

Yes, but that is only true because of the context. 

If we had a prominent corps in DCI today whose trademarks were theatre and humor, if they chose to do a Civil War themed production number, and if championships happened to be held in the deep South, I have no doubt they would flirt with the "South wins" aspect.  I also have no doubt that some anonymous Internet poster would take offense.  And I have no doubt that if it was done with the kind of expert design the Bridgemen had, the vast majority of people would understand that the corps was merely playing to the home crowd, and not making social commentary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok how did the south win? Maybe the PBS cameras missed showing that part... 

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

From what I remember, at the end of the "battle" the replica Confederate flags were the ones held higher than those of the Union.

Someone else perhaps can fill in the details here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

From what I remember, at the end of the "battle" the replica Confederate flags were the ones held higher than those of the Union.  Someone else perhaps can fill in the details here.

Plus, Gen. Lee forced Gen. Grant down on his knees under his sword.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both... just remember color guard members helping each other up after the "battle".

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, but that is only true because of the context. 

If we had a prominent corps in DCI today whose trademarks were theatre and humor, if they chose to do a Civil War themed production number, and if championships happened to be held in the deep South, I have no doubt they would flirt with the "South wins" aspect.  I also have no doubt that some anonymous Internet poster would take offense.  And I have no doubt that if it was done with the kind of expert design the Bridgemen had, the vast majority of people would understand that the corps was merely playing to the home crowd, and not making social commentary.

A thoughtful show based on let’s say films such as “Glory” or “Gettysburg” or if John Williams allowed his beautiful score to “Lincoln” to be used,  that would be welcome, but I doubt humor would work, unless it was poking fun at something like “Gone with the Wind.” But at a time where the Confederate flag is viewed my many to be the equivalent of a Nazi swastika and  Southern communities are debating what to do with Confederate war memorials, humor wouldn’t fly. Perhaps in a less politically charged future, maybe, but not now, no matter how expertly the show was designed.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I saw Bridgemen multiple times in 79 and 80, and still watch the DVD’s, so I should know better than a guess, but if my memory serves me correctly, in most shows the Union flags were higher and the Union soldier helped the Confederate soldier to his feet. In 1980, and maybe 79, at finals the Confederate flags are higher and the Confederate soldier helps the Union soldier to his feet. 

Edit: didn’t realize that Ghost and Fran Haring already answered it. 

Edited by Tim K

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

A thoughtful show based on let’s say films such as “Glory” or “Gettysburg” or if John Williams allowed his beautiful score to “Lincoln” to be used,  that would be welcome, but I doubt humor would work, unless it was poking fun at something like “Gone with the Wind.” But at a time where the Confederate flag is viewed my many to be the equivalent of a Nazi swastika and  Southern communities are debating what to do with Confederate war memorials, humor wouldn’t fly. Perhaps in a less politically charged future, maybe, but not now, no matter how expertly the show was designed.

Best quote I heard about the CSA stars and bars from was from a southern re-enacter at Gettysburg for an anniversary of the battle. Local news crew asked his opinion of controversy about the flag. Response was we use it for heritage and history and others took it over for hate. Someday I hope we take it (flag) back.

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Still have no idea of the reasons for the guns in a John Q show. Has anyone seen the show to explain as movie was about costs of medical care.

I am only going from what I read, but somebody familiar with the film wrote in another forum that in the film, a gang of armed protesters surrounded one...or some...police pointing their guns, but then they backed away and did some sort of peaceful bonding thing along with the police officers they had surrounded.

• Thanks 1