Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I saw Bridgemen multiple times in 79 and 80, and still watch the DVD’s, so I should know better than a guess, but if my memory serves me correctly, in most shows the Union flags were higher and the Union soldier helped the Confederate soldier to his feet. In 1980, and maybe 79, at finals the Confederate flags are higher and the Confederate soldier helps the Union soldier to his feet. 

Edit: didn’t realize that Ghost and Fran Haring already answered it. 

The Confederate flags were changed to fly higher on the 2nd tour of the summer. Those years there was 2 tours, the 2nd for Bridgemen headed south.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thank you both... just remember color guard members helping each other up after the "battle".

I wonder if the whole thing had anything to do with the Bridgemen being from "southern" Bayonne. :laughing:

The south end of Bayonne was St. Andrew's country... down near the Bayonne Bridge.  The area where my mom and many of my relatives grew up.

The north end... up near the Jersey City border... was St. Vincent's territory.

Of course, the younger folks reading this are saying "WTF is he talking about????"  LOL. The famed St. Vincent's junior drum corps was a memory by the time the Bridgemen got off the ground in the 1960s.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I wonder if the whole thing had anything to do with the Bridgemen being from "southern" Bayonne. :laughing:

The south end of Bayonne was St. Andrew's country... down near the Bayonne Bridge.  The area where my mom and many of my relatives grew up.

Of course, the younger folks reading this are saying "WTF is he talking about????"  LOL. The famed St. Vincent's junior drum corps was a memory by the time the Bridgemen got off the ground in the 1960s.

lol...( the WTF comment )...no it had all to do with Finals in Birmingham. The staging for this in 79 was done in a week-long process when they stayed at Salem HS in Salem Mass, at least in part, as I remember.. LONGGGGGGG time ago

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol...( the WTF comment )...no it had all to do with Finals in Birmingham.

That I know.  LOL.

Another genius move by Bobby Hoffman. He had such an uncanny knack for doing things at the right time.  All sorts of "man... why didn't WE think of that???" stuff from him, with the Bridgemen and other corps.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, Tim K said:

I said a few years back in a post there is no way a Civil War show where the South wins would be fielded today, and when these shows were fielded, it was a different time.

How about a show in which Nat Turner's rebellion succeeds?

Django Unchained?

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

That I know.  LOL.

Another genius move by Bobby Hoffman. He had such an uncanny knack for doing things at the right time.  All sorts of "man... why didn't WE think of that???" stuff from him, with the Bridgemen and other corps.

Includung the Skyliners traffic jam, if memory serves.

Of course he also did the great Garfield theme shows of 71 and 72, plus the 1970 Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit".

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Think we had a rehearsal site near that bridge in the very late 70s. All I remember is looking at the river and water was brown or some nasty color. Really made the Susquehanna River at the time look good by comparison.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, elphaba01 said:

"Yankee Rebels 1969":

The old Baltimore Yankee Rebels senior corps did a Civil War show, (The first of it's kind BTW), way back in 1969.  They called it "Requiem for an Era" and it was written by none other than Truman W. Crawford, a serving officer (And Commander) of the USMC drum and bugle corps.

The show was  greeted with standing ovations, and a benchmark production for it's time.  Garfield Cadets did an "America the Brave" type of show in 1971 & 1972, and Casper Troopers did a "Custer's Last Stand" feature in 1971.  

The Madison Scouts did a "Pirates of Lake Mendota" a few years back, complete with sword fights and a pirate captin being done in by his first mate.

All of those shows were tremendous crowd faves.

Elphaba     :flower:

loved all of them. But it's now 2018, and this was a scholastic group. Things done even 10 years ago now are frowned upon. The high school I went to had issues 20+ years after I graduated as people complained the Winter Concert...aka formerly Christmas concert...had too many religious pieces of music done, not enough Jingle Bells, Sleigh Ride etc. 

The world we now reside in is overly sensitive regardless of how you lean or feel or what you believe. Every side of an issue has to go to the extreme. 15 years ago in a standstill percussion concert piece I instructed, a few of the girls struck the Charlies Angels pose at the end of the rap part in "new era". this school was rural...we are literally talking gun racks in peoples cars, several of the kids had rebel flags in the window of their pickup truck.

10 people complained about the pose. 8 people complained about the rap. in 2003. Really. 

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thank you both... just remember color guard members helping each other up after the "battle".

and the company front on their knees. blasphemy LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Includung the Skyliners traffic jam, if memory serves.

Of course he also did the great Garfield theme shows of 71 and 72, plus the 1970 Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit".

Definitely... the Traffic Jam was his idea.

He also wrote the Blue Stars' drill in 1975. I think they took high visual that year at finals.

Edited by Fran Haring