Sure Hope This Never Happens in DCI or DCA

1 hour ago, 81Freelancers said:

When The Bridgemen found out that DCI was to be held in Birmingham, they specifically made the "Civil War" part of their '79. And at the very end of the "battle," the Confederate flag was flying SLIGHTLY higher than the Union flag. The crowd ate it up. Then they finished up with "Johnny Comes Marching Home" or...."Battle Hymn of the Republic." Can't remember. 

Of course started with Dixie which next thing you heard was a roar. Man even Lynyrd Skynyrd quit showing the CSA flag because some use it for a hateful purpose. Skynyrd didn’t want to put it away but some people tend to screw things up for all. 

Thinking of the corps that used that flag/emblem and would be a big ruckus if done today.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 10/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, BigW said:

Actually, Jim... I think you were there with me when Brother Dave waxed poetic about that as well as his rather riled up and crazed thoughts on another corps in 1979 that beat Jesus on the field to the "39 Lashes" tune from Jesus Christ, Superstar".

A buddy of mine in Sun saw that corps that year, at some show upstate I think, and came back to our bus swearing he'd never watch them again. :laughing: "They just beat Christ on the field!!! I can't effing believe it!!!"  LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah yes, I played that in college marching band in the fall of 1991. No bows and arrows in our show.

But I hope the band that you judged got top marks in General Effect, given that you wrote that they played that piece "back in the 80s" -- way to bury the lede that they had a time machine!

Sorry...early 90's.   

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Sorry...early 90's.   

Don't be sorry--run with the joke! I wanted to hear about a Back to the Future / Prince of Thieves mash-up.

6 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

When The Bridgemen found out that DCI was to be held in Birmingham, they specifically made the "Civil War" part of their '79. And at the very end of the "battle," the Confederate flag was flying SLIGHTLY higher than the Union flag. The crowd ate it up. Then they finished up with "Johnny Comes Marching Home" or...."Battle Hymn of the Republic." Can't remember. 

and people everywhere loved it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

And  at Finals (that's the only show I saw),after their performance ,they took off their coats to reveal  "A" tee shirts.

Then they got into a football stance.

If I remember correctly,the guard did cheers.

Brought the house down,again.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is some stupid S#!t. Drum Corps depict killings all the time. This was a segment of a show that depicted holding characters at gunpoint.  I would love to see the whole show. Get off your P. C. soapbox and look at the shows you've marched, Applauded for and put in your favorites list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boxingfred said:

This is some stupid S#!t. Drum Corps depict killings all the time. This was a segment of a show that depicted holding characters at gunpoint.  I would love to see the whole show. Get off your P. C. soapbox and look at the shows you've marched, Applauded for and put in your favorites list.

To play Devil's advocate here, it should be noted that drum corps are not beholden to any school districts for their very existence and who, more importantly, approve their budgets. Couldn't you see how, given that context, a show depicting kids being held at gunpoint *might* not be the wisest creative choice? Or that those who might find such a scene inappropriate at a high school band competition might have an understandable, if not valid point?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 12:39 AM, Jeff Ream said:

"Yankee Rebels 1969":

The old Baltimore Yankee Rebels senior corps did a Civil War show, (The first of it's kind BTW), way back in 1969.  They called it "Requiem for an Era" and it was written by none other than Truman W. Crawford, a serving officer (And Commander) of the USMC drum and bugle corps.

The show was  greeted with standing ovations, and a benchmark production for it's time.  Garfield Cadets did an "America the Brave" type of show in 1971 & 1972, and Casper Troopers did a "Custer's Last Stand" feature in 1971.  

The Madison Scouts did a "Pirates of Lake Mendota" a few years back, complete with sword fights and a pirate captin being done in by his first mate.

All of those shows were tremendous crowd faves.

Elphaba     :flower:

1 hour ago, elphaba01 said:

"Yankee Rebels 1969":

The old Baltimore Yankee Rebels senior corps did a Civil War show, (The first of it's kind BTW), way back in 1969.  They called it "Requiem for an Era" and it was written by none other than Truman W. Crawford, a serving officer (And Commander) of the USMC drum and bugle corps.

The show was  greeted with standing ovations, and a benchmark production for it's time.  Garfield Cadets did an "America the Brave" type of show in 1971 & 1972, and Casper Troopers did a "Custer's Last Stand" feature in 1971.  

The Madison Scouts did a "Pirates of Lake Mendota" a few years back, complete with sword fights and a pirate captin being done in by his first mate.

All of those shows were tremendous crowd faves.

Elphaba     :flower:

On 10/11/2018 at 12:39 AM, Jeff Ream said:

I said a few years back in a post there is no way a Civil War show where the South wins would be fielded today, and when these shows were fielded, it was a different time. Post Charlottesville 2017, which ironically happened on finals day in Indy, it would be interpreted differently. Also, as far as Bridgemen’s interpretation, who won was meant to add humor, but the peace flag and the blue and gray walking arm in arm was meant to show unity. That theme would be done differently today, and forty years from now, that show may be controversial. Who knows?