2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

Hello all,

does anyone know if and when dvds/blurays of the 2018  DCI champ finals will be available for purchase? Took around Dcis website and didn't see anything 

Edited by Triple Forte

We used to be able to preorder by now and would receive them between Veterans’ Day and Thanksgiving, now they are released a bit later, usually in time for   Christmas. A great deal depends on securing rights.

5 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Hello all,

does anyone know if and when dvds/blurays of the 2018  DCI champ finals will be available for purchase? Took around Dcis website and didn't see anything 

If last year is any indication, around November 15th.

11-15-2017 05:45
FAQs: 2017 DCI World Championship Audio/Video
by Drum Corps International

When will performances from the 2017 DCI World Championships be released on CD, DVD and Blu-ray? 

2017 DCI World Championship Blu-ray, DVD and CD sets are currently available and shipping from store.dci.org

.https://www.dci.org/news/faqs-2017-dci-world-championship-audiovideo

On 10/7/2018 at 2:03 PM, Ghost said:

Hope no corps takes a hit like Boston did last year.

Or Blue Stars, or Blue Knights last year.  I actually think Blue Stars was the worst with all the chopping up and editing they had to do because of various licensing issues.  I really hope that in my lifetime this licensing stuff all gets resolved and we can go back to just having full drum corps and marching band shows on videos.  Its so bizarre (still, to me anyway) to not see most circuits offering marching band end of season championship videos anymore...some still do, but many don't due to the excessive licensing costs..  DCA doesn't anymore either.  Its so sad.

1 hour ago, leed17 said:

Or Blue Stars, or Blue Knights last year.  I actually think Blue Stars was the worst with all the chopping up and editing they had to do because of various licensing issues.  I really hope that in my lifetime this licensing stuff all gets resolved and we can go back to just having full drum corps and marching band shows on videos.  Its so bizarre (still, to me anyway) to not see most circuits offering marching band end of season championship videos anymore...some still do, but many don't due to the excessive licensing costs..  DCA doesn't anymore either.  Its so sad.

Unfortunately, I think the ship has sailed on it. All those that want to be paid for rights aren't going to stop asking for the money, IMO.

53 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Unfortunately, I think the ship has sailed on it. All those that want to be paid for rights aren't going to stop asking for the money, IMO.

I certainly don't expect the payment part of it to change, but I am hoping that more reasonable charges can be agreed upon across the board...instead of one composer or artist charging thousands (sometimes hundreds of thousands) for their fee to use their music on a video recording, while another composer charges a few hundred.  The sync licenses are like that, whereas the mechanical licenses for the CD's are much more in line and I think a little easier to get and more appropriate financially for people like DCI.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

blame music ripping software and napster

seriously

with all of that file sharing and pirating, composers, artists, and studios took huge financial hits, and this is one of the ways that they try to compensate for that

it wasn't like this back when we dinosaurs were making mixtapes for each other

if anything, i see sync and mechanical rights becoming more draconian

on a side note, i was reading something about the filming of reality shows last week, and found out that contestants will oftentimes start singing top 40 hits if they don't want what they're doing to get put on the air

Edited by Lance

1 hour ago, Lance said:

blame music ripping software and napster

seriously

with all of that file sharing and pirating, composers, artists, and studios took huge financial hits, and this is one of the ways that they try to compensate for that

it wasn't like this back when we dinosaurs were making mixtapes for each other

if anything, i see sync and mechanical rights becoming more draconian

on a side note, i was reading something about the filming of reality shows last week, and found out that contestants will oftentimes start singing top 40 hits if they don't want what they're doing to get put on the air

I agree. Had sites like napster, limewire, 4shared, and various other sites not done what they did, I don't believe the issue would be as big, nor the fees being as high.

I sure hope Arcade Fire's / Peter Gabriel's rights holders are amenable...