2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

5 hours ago, Lance said:

blame music ripping software and napster

seriously

with all of that file sharing and pirating, composers, artists, and studios took huge financial hits, and this is one of the ways that they try to compensate for that

it wasn't like this back when we dinosaurs were making mixtapes for each other

if anything, i see sync and mechanical rights becoming more draconian

on a side note, i was reading something about the filming of reality shows last week, and found out that contestants will oftentimes start singing top 40 hits if they don't want what they're doing to get put on the air

I do not think it is the file sharing issue as that has decreased a ton since streaming has been out the past 4-5 years. And really, do they care about a small activity such as BOA and DCI, I doubt it. It comes down to greed (record companies)  and arrangement issues and that is it. They are not losing any more money than they ever had, ..............look at Justin Timberlake, he is worth $230 million dollars, you think he cares if Bluecoats do a Timberlake show in 19? No..if he does it is about the arrangement being manipulated more than the loss of revenue. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ohbaby said:

I do not think it is the file sharing issue as that has decreased a ton since streaming has been out the past 4-5 years. And really, do they care about a small activity such as BOA and DCI, I doubt it. It comes down to greed (record companies)  and arrangement issues and that is it. They are not losing any more money than they ever had, ..............look at Justin Timberlake, he is worth $230 million dollars, you think he cares if Bluecoats do a Timberlake show in 19? No..if he does it is about the arrangement being manipulated more than the loss of revenue. 

To make up for lost profits due to pirating, artists, composers, and their publishers pushed for draconian legislation that didn't exist before.

Twitch streamers with literally 2 viewers have the sound censored from their broadcasts if they play any music that requires synch rights (so pretty much everything), so yeah, somebody cares.  

I think it's pretty funny that you think Timberlake or any other uber millionaire would somehow only put his foot down when he thinks a corps isn't doing his amazing music justice or something.  I can just imagine him trying to use DCP lingo: "I was fine with The Bluecoats doing Cry Me a River, but then they had to add that extra bass drum beat. How dare they chop and bop my music!"/.  

6 hours ago, Lance said:

blame music ripping software and napster

seriously

with all of that file sharing and pirating, composers, artists, and studios took huge financial hits, and this is one of the ways that they try to compensate for that

it wasn't like this back when we dinosaurs were making mixtapes for each other

if anything, i see sync and mechanical rights becoming more draconian

on a side note, i was reading something about the filming of reality shows last week, and found out that contestants will oftentimes start singing top 40 hits if they don't want what they're doing to get put on the air

5 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I agree. Had sites like napster, limewire, 4shared, and various other sites not done what they did, I don't believe the issue would be as big, nor the fees being as high.

1 hour ago, ohbaby said:

The above is just added noise IMO...CD's go the way of the 8-track and the 78 rpm record...

14 hours ago, ohbaby said:

I do not think it is the file sharing issue as that has decreased a ton since streaming has been out the past 4-5 years. And really, do they care about a small activity such as BOA and DCI, I doubt it.  

Between high schools and colleges, there must be well past 10,000 marching bands.  Small activity?

14 hours ago, ohbaby said:

greed or getting what they are truly owed? For years drum corps liberally ignored copyright laws. So did the band world, indoor etc. and the artist/publisher gets to set the fees. So while we are small pickins as you say, in the grand scheme of things, drum corps has gotten away with millions of licensing fees not paid over the decades.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Lance said:

To make up for lost profits due to pirating, artists, composers, and their publishers pushed for draconian legislation that didn't exist before.

Twitch streamers with literally 2 viewers have the sound censored from their broadcasts if they play any music that requires synch rights (so pretty much everything), so yeah, somebody cares.  

I think it's pretty funny that you think Timberlake or any other uber millionaire would somehow only put his foot down when he thinks a corps isn't doing his amazing music justice or something.  I can just imagine him trying to use DCP lingo: "I was fine with The Bluecoats doing Cry Me a River, but then they had to add that extra bass drum beat. How dare they chop and bop my music!"/.  

Know with other types of copyrighted material if you do not protect the copyright you could lose it altogether. Iow if you sue only when you can make a bundle and ignore the little guys you are opening yourself up for problems. Not sure how it relates to music but has to be a worry.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

greed or getting what they are truly owed? For years drum corps liberally ignored copyright laws. So did the band world, indoor etc. and the artist/publisher gets to set the fees. So while we are small pickins as you say, in the grand scheme of things, drum corps has gotten away with millions of licensing fees not paid over the decades.

Yeah for decades thought corps had an out as they didn’t use “real” instruments in the pre 2 or 3 valve days. Was set straight by a poster here (no name without permission) who knows the subject. Bottom line is dc got away with a lot until imo it couldn’t fly under the radar anymore with the internet 

On 10/9/2018 at 5:16 PM, ohbaby said:

Bluecoats are doing Timberlake next year?!?  Finally a corps show my wife will be interested in!!!

4 hours ago, Sideways said:

Bluecoats are doing Timberlake next year?!?  Finally a corps show my wife will be interested in!!!

yup. junk in a box. it's the new Pink Floyds the Wall