2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

On 10/28/2018 at 4:49 PM, jeffmolnar said:

“Making money” implies profit though. The Blu-ray sales just help keep a youth music organization afloat. No one is getting rich off of it.

and for decades DCi gave nothing for licensing and blatantly flipped the laws off.

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

Two reasons I think.  One, educational royalties can be a massive source of income.  Two, THE WHOLE ACTIVITY flagrantly ignored copyright law for decades, and is getting punished for it now.

Mike

i amended for accuracy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deftguy said:

I hate to say this as a videophile, but DCI need to  cease disc production and focus on streaming options. There are getting fewer and fewer of us disc collectors who are willing to shell out the amount of cash for their disc products. When their disc media cost more than a UHD or 3D blu ray disc for movies,  folks give it the side eye. 

I will ALWAYS take physical media over streaming options. Streaming can be taken away easily - what are your options for watching 1984 Suncoast Sound right now? But nobody is ever coming to my home to confiscate my DVD/Blu-ray library. Video and audio quality are better (less compressed) on physical media in general also. The sound quality of the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio alone is worth the cost of the Blu-ray, and you can't get that any other way right now. Streaming can be more costly over time, whereas a disc is a one-time purchase for unlimited viewing forever. I'll pay pretty much whatever they want to charge for the blu-ray - keep 'em coming!

Shawn

• Like 9

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

Guessing the Blu Rays are at least $99 this year.  Just checking one minute ago, downloading the top 12 on MarchingMusicDownloads.com costs $179.40. 

:blink:

Mike

This is today. There are still lots of Bluray players out there. Here is something to consider.  DEG shows in their research 18-30 year olds STRONGLY prefer streaming over disc watching. If DCI moves away from third party providers for their streaming option (which take their own profit making cut out of the deal), and focus on building a platform they can sustain, cost can and will go down over time. 

MarchingMusicDownloads.com is putting a huge cost premium on DCI shows to make more money from a smaller current market....that is for sure.  If the Bluray costs $99 bucks, there is no reason under the sun a streaming option shouldn't be cheaper.....there is no disc to manufacture, market, and distribute. 

Gougingonsteriods.net

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, On the 50 said:

I will ALWAYS take physical media over streaming options. Streaming can be taken away easily - what are your options for watching 1984 Suncoast Sound right now? But nobody is ever coming to my home to confiscate my DVD/Blu-ray library. Video and audio quality are better (less compressed) on physical media in general also. The sound quality of the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio alone is worth the cost of the Blu-ray, and you can't get that any other way right now. Streaming can be more costly over time, whereas a disc is a one-time purchase for unlimited viewing forever. I'll pay pretty much whatever they want to charge for the blu-ray - keep 'em coming!

Shawn

I am sooooooo....ooooooo....oooo with you on this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On the 50 said:

Shawn

Yeah, I buy the Blu-rays for the lossless audio and just do my own rips. It can be a bit of a hassle though, depending on the year. 

Edited by jeffmolnar

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

Yeah, I buy the Blu-rays for the lossless audio and just do my own rips. It can be a bit of a hassle though, depending on the year. 

I do the same with my movies. (MKV with DTS MA or Dolby True HD pass thru.) I like the convenience of playing through a media player but I’m not crazy about the audio quality of streaming. For me, doing it that way still gives me the best of both worlds. Plus I like having my physical media backup. 

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and for decades DCi gave nothing for licensing and blatantly flipped the laws off.

That is blatantly false. 

DCI has been paying for licensing since the 1970s.  What was missed in the 1970s (and 1980s, and 1990s) was the permission to arrange the music.  That was a shortcoming among the individual corps.

7 hours ago, year1buick said:

Plus I like having my physical media backup. 

Lol as an IT slug for many decades you always need at least one backup. And with in demand streaming yep that stuff can always disappear. Has happened with DCA and DCI “historical” shows.

19 hours ago, MikeN said:

Guessing the Blu Rays are at least $99 this year.  Just checking one minute ago, downloading the top 12 on MarchingMusicDownloads.com costs $179.40. 

:blink:

Mike

I can't seem to access Marching Music Downloads anymore - I'm wondering if its because I'm in Canada ?  I thought they had just taken the site down.,  Are any of you in the US able to access it ?

Mike