2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

50 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

2003, so we had internet.  It would be several more years before DCI would start streaming video, though.  For that matter, 2003 non-finalists were still relegated to VHS only.

About the time when I started following DC again thanks. And like you said it was a while until DCI, etc started getting good legal advice on the different types of copyrights. 

Including for the historical side, rights to the recordings them selves. DCW has the Stetson Richmond recordings that cover 50s/60s but had to get the rights to sell what is in the tapes

50 minutes ago, Lance said:

Doesn't all of that mean that corps were getting away with not following the letter of the law for quite awhile before it?

From what I was told by a DCP’er who is knowledgeable on music rights and other things yes. I thought it was because horns had less than 3 valves (not a true musical instrument ) but I was corrected. We just flew under the radar pretty good for pretty long and no one was hard butted about it. 

Was corrected in a private conversation so not releasing the persons name

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and sync rights, etc. basically they ignored the laws on the books. so did DCA, WGI, and everyone else

It’s not just the marching community. When I was teaching and mimeograph machines were still used, masters created by textbook companies had strict rules on how many copies could be made per master per year. No one ever followed that rule. I can recall textbook companies encouraging schools to photocopy textbooks they were previewing for student use. I can think if many examples where I did not follow copyright laws when preparing materials nor did most of my colleagues. 

I belong to a camera club where images are set to live music. Anytime the presentations are shown to a paying audience, permission to use the music should be granted. It rarely happens.

Churches are notorious for deciding a hymn would be great and simply type out the words. This is changing now that it’s pretty easy and inexpensive to get the rights and downloading with permission is easier than typing all the words.

Today things are getting stricter. I did the “ice bucket” challenge a few years back. I uploaded it to Facebook. It was removed for using unauthorized music. The music was coming from a car that was stopped at a red light. 

Whether it is a drum corps, schools, churches, private clubs, the intent is not bad, but we forget someone wrote the book or music, and they deserve compensation. As to laws being enforced today, with the Internet it is much easier to violate copyrights and licensing, so they have to be stricter, and chances are the more violations, the more we probably have to pay. 

I remember a stink being raised about businesses that played music for their customers. Someone was saying that the music helped the business bring in customers so rights holders should get a cut. Never did see how that worked out. 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Doesn't all of that mean that corps were getting away with not following the letter of the law for quite awhile before it?

Not necessarily.  In scenario "b" of my post, the corps follows the letter of the law.  Meanwhile, DCI obtains statutory licensing and pays the specified royalties for their A/V products, unaware that they actually need to ask the music copyright holders for permission to make A/V products.

Maybe that is part of the reasons why it takes so long to get the Blu-Rays out.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Today things are getting stricter. I did the “ice bucket” challenge a few years back. I uploaded it to Facebook. It was removed for using unauthorized music. The music was coming from a car that was stopped at a red light. 

Now Tim, that is so dam funny!

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol as an IT slug for many decades you always need at least one backup. And with in demand streaming yep that stuff can always disappear. Has happened with DCA and DCI “historical” shows.

Yep. 

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I remember a stink being raised about businesses that played music for their customers. Someone was saying that the music helped the business bring in customers so rights holders should get a cut. Never did see how that worked out. 

I also remember this because my best friends restaurant went through this same stink. Never mind that his food was what customers were raving about(and what drove customers to his restaurant), and the music was just ambience filler. 

His answer was to get music in the public domain where copyright and licensing issues were eliminated. He also went from relying on piped in music, and went to a live music/piped in model. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, jeffmolnar said:

Working fine for me in Texas.

Thanks - guess it isn't accessible in Canada anymore :omg:

thanks,

Mike