2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some laws are bad and deserve to be ignored.

But yes, doing so comes with peril.

History will judge Tresona badly. That's not much help right now, to be sure.

history wont care.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

history wont care.

Eh, a little part of history will.

And it's not just in drum corps where the current awful state of copyright law is lamented.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if Tresona cared about negative publicity, there'd have been changes since 2015. We don't produce enough copies to be a financial threat, we aren't a Hollywood studio production. Hell ESPN of all places drastically cut back on showing college bands during games...why? Licensing.Same for the other networks. 

And it's not always money. It can often be the artist. if they don;t like how their work is being used...especially in a visual medium...so sad too bad. they'll say no. Hell in 2008 before all of this blew up. DCi released the first batch, then all other batches had to have edits of Phantoms show because the composer didnt like how it was used. in 92 Cavies were sued by Stamp himself.

we are a niche activity, without enough voices to do enough damage, and in these political times, not nearly enough money to lobby for changes in Congress

You basically just made my point about why it’s important for the information to be public, so that other voices might become aware of it in the future. We’ll never get it changed on our own.

18 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

The issue is these groups have already secured the rights to play this music during their competition season, but videos of that season can't be made available. That's ridiculous. Those things shouldn't be separated. If they're licensed to play a track at their competition, videos of that competition should be able to be seen. There shouldn't be this multi-step process of securing rights for each individual thing.

Yes, there should be.  Often, performing vs. recording are done by separate groups.  Without separate permissions, that would not be possible.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:29 PM, jeffmolnar said:

They need to start earlier or something then. Honestly I don’t know or care, just get it done. I’ve been watching finals with my aging father on Christmas Eve for over a decade now. They need to figure it out.

Or you could offset the process by a year.  Watch 2018 finals on 2019 Christmas Eve; 2019 finals on 2020 Christmas Eve; etc.  Use this year to view highlights of your decade-plus video library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, there should be.  Often, performing vs. recording are done by separate groups.  Without separate permissions, that would not be possible.

It's the same group playing the piece.

There is no valid reason for this stuff to be separated, beyond appeasing corporations to the detriment of a youth activity. It should be possible to lock down these rights before the season even starts.

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Each corps obtains performance permissions.  DCI obtains licenses for the recordings.  Different entities.

...which shouldn't be the case, yes. That's my point.

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

If I were rewriting the laws, I'd make synchronization licenses automatic, with an option to opt-out on a case-by-case basis, but only at the request of the creator.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

...which shouldn't be the case, yes. That's my point.

Then your choices are:

1.  Each corps obtains all rights, and there are no "DCI finals videos".  You must buy each corps individually.

2.  DCI obtains all rights, including permission to arrange/perform.  DCI must hire 50 more office staff, and shows will take 3 years minimum to design/license.  No show changes are allowed during the season, unless they involve public domain music.

Which did you have in mind?

• Thanks 2