2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

25 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Then your choices are:

1.  Each corps obtains all rights, and there are no "DCI finals videos".  You must buy each corps individually.

2.  DCI obtains all rights, including permission to arrange/perform.  DCI must hire 50 more office staff, and shows will take 3 years minimum to design/license.  No show changes are allowed during the season, unless they involve public domain music.

Which did you have in mind?

I'd take #1, except corps are still required to allow DCI to put out the videos. Corps should be responsible for paying the license, but "DCI Finals" should still be a thing. Maybe kickback some of the revenue from video sales to the corps. Maybe not, I don't care. They can figure that out internally.

But really, the corps need to feel the heat here or they'll never stop choosing problematic music.

At the end of the day, the season is just two and a half months during the summer. The videos are what live on forever. They are infinitely more important than what is played on the summer tour. These rights need to be locked down in advance. I don't care if that's never been done before, let's make some new deals and get it done now.

12 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

At the end of the day, the season is just two and a half months during the summer. The videos are what live on forever. They are infinitely more important than what is played on the summer tour. 

But for corps trying to win and recruit for the coming season(s) they take the exact opposite opinion. For them the one night (Finals) is what counts not the whole season (why some of them are willing to have incomplete shows to start). And what goes on the field for the members takes precedence over what can be bought later

aka that thing called the bottom line 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But for corps trying to win and recruit for the coming season(s) they take the exact opposite opinion. For them the one night (Finals) is what counts not the whole season (why some of them are willing to have incomplete shows to start). And what goes on the field for the members takes precedence over what can be bought later

aka that thing called the bottom line 

Right, so those groups should be forced to take a different approach. 

14 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I'd take #1, except corps are still required to allow DCI to put out the videos. Corps should be responsible for paying the license, but "DCI Finals" should still be a thing. Maybe kickback some of the revenue from video sales to the corps. Maybe not, I don't care. They can figure that out internally.

But really, the corps need to feel the heat here or they'll never stop choosing problematic music.

At the end of the day, the season is just two and a half months during the summer. The videos are what live on forever. They are infinitely more important than what is played on the summer tour. These rights need to be locked down in advance. I don't care if that's never been done before, let's make some new deals and get it done now.

So you want corps to also obtain mechanical/master use/synchronization rights, then transfer those rights to DCI so that recordings can be done as a set?  Not sure that even wholesale changes to the law can make that possible.

I share your sentiments in this case, though.

12 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

You basically just made my point about why it’s important for the information to be public, so that other voices might become aware of it in the future. We’ll never get it changed on our own.

it's been a huge issue now for 3 years and it's well known already.

I get it. You want your dvds when you want them. Hell I'd like them too. But in the current business and political climate, no amount of #####ing online is going to change it. So if you want to charge up to that windmill, go ahead. Don't be surprised if the windmill hits back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

YOu do realize, like in 08. Phantom got the ok...and then the composer changed their mind. So then what?

and the amount of videos sold by DCI is so minimal that we are a pimple on the licensing industry's ###

37 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

No, they shouldn't. the live performance for finals night in the stadium should always be the priority. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

How many approaches  legally are there... There is what’s nice, what makes sense and then there is was is written down as law. Corps are butting their heads against the last one. Hades DCA gave up fighting this and forget is it was cost or fear something would be missed and they get sued.

and people ##### that DCI is LATE? Try liking a show or being part of it and never have a recording at all.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How many approaches  legally are there... There is what’s nice, what makes sense and then there is was is written down as law. Corps are butting their heads against the last one. Hades DCA gave up fighting this and forget is it was cost or fear something would be missed and they get sued.

and people ##### that DCI is LATE? Try liking a show or being part of it and never have a recording at all.

DCA sells even fewer...far fewer. financially it made no sense

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA sells even fewer...far fewer. financially it made no sense

Ok so cost killed the bugger. Was following the mess the minis went thru with their release paperwork. If all the i were not dotted and t not crossed to protect DCA no way you performed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari