2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's been a huge issue now for 3 years and it's well known already.

I get it. You want your dvds when you want them. Hell I'd like them too. But in the current business and political climate, no amount of #####ing online is going to change it. So if you want to charge up to that windmill, go ahead. Don't be surprised if the windmill hits back

It hasn't been a huge issue though. It's only huge to us in this niche activity. What I'm talking about is an actual celebrity (or prominent "influencer," as they're called now) catching wind and stirring up a stink. I'm talking mainstream news sources putting out articles on it.

Yes it's unlikely, I know you're a pessimist so let me stop you there. The point is that it's impossible for anything to happen without DCI making some of that info public. If it's out there, something could happen. Maybe. It's a long shot, but it's all we got. As I've been saying throughout multiple posts now.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

YOu do realize, like in 08. Phantom got the ok...and then the composer changed their mind. So then what?

and the amount of videos sold by DCI is so minimal that we are a pimple on the licensing industry's ###

Write better contracts. The composer shouldn't be able to change their mind. They either sign on or they don't.

Edited by jeffmolnar

Is not the MB world going thru the same heart burn with this issue? Bigger niche but not big enough that the ones who control the copyrights can’t tell complainers to pound sand

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is not the MB world going thru the same heart burn with this issue? Bigger niche but not big enough that the ones who control the copyrights can’t tell complainers to pound sand

It is. BOA doesn't even sell recorded A/V products anymore and hasn't since I think 2014. With hundreds of different groups performing at their shows it just isn't worth the time to pursue it, much less the money necessary. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

It hasn't been a huge issue though. It's only huge to us in this niche activity. What I'm talking about is an actual celebrity (or prominent "influencer," as they're called now) catching wind and stirring up a stink. I'm talking mainstream news sources putting out articles on it.

Yes it's unlikely, I know you're a pessimist so let me stop you there. The point is that it's impossible for anything to happen without DCI making some of that info public. If it's out there, something could happen. Maybe. It's a long shot, but it's all we got. As I've been saying throughout multiple posts now.

Write better contracts. The composer shouldn't be able to change their mind. They either sign on or they don't.

the LAW lets them. 

and i'm not a pessimist. I am a realist, not throwing a temper tantrum online because I can't get what I want.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

the band world has adapted to the point where many places don't sell dvd's. Those that do allow a company to come in video everything claim no ownership and make no money from those recordings, so everything falls back on the company doing the recordings.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the LAW lets them. 

and i'm not a pessimist. I am a realist, not throwing a temper tantrum online because I can't get what I want.

Nothing ever got changed by calmly taking it in the chin.

As for the law, you telling me a lawyer couldn’t write up a clause that waived that right of the composer?

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

As for the law, you telling me a lawyer couldn’t write up a clause that waived that right of the composer?

So how deep are your pockets to fight all this in a test case? And how deep are DCIs and will it be worth it all compared to any possible gain?

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So how deep are your pockets to fight all this in a test case? And how deep are DCIs and will it be worth it all compared to any possible gain?

I feel like you guys aren’t even reading what I’m suggesting. Because all that I’d like to see done is for DCI to publicize the information about why certain pieces were cut. Who was responsible and why. That’s free.

11 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

look....you want ride up the hill and take out that windmill go ahead. I suggest the tone of your message change, otherwise you come off like "wah i cant watch my dvd's on Christmas Eve!!!"

I even wish you luck. And I won't throw out a random C3PO quote naming the odds of surviving going through an asteroid belt

12 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I feel like you guys aren’t even reading what I’m suggesting. Because all that I’d like to see done is for DCI to publicize the information about why certain pieces were cut. Who was responsible and why. That’s free.

i totally get what you're suggesting...you're not getting things I pointed back to you. Artists aren't going to fight the fight...BECAUSE DOING SO WILL COST THEM MONEY. Celebrities too, because if their voice is used....THEY MAKE MONEY.