2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

But if I am educating kids, I should be able to take your car without even asking.

Uncle Harry??? Inside joke: when they would visit keep your keys in your pocket. If not you’d see a car go down the street and think it looked just like your car. Then 3 seconds later you’d think “OH ####”...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Ah, in that case it actually was settled.  I'd still think DCI gains little by antagonizing Tresona and publishing requests for cuts, etc. 

Mike

Oh I agree entirely. And to be honest, DCi can't outspend Tresona if it becomes a war, so even if a grass roots campaign starts, DCi itself would be smart to stay out of the way or even better, state they are not behind this push

• Like 1

Speaking of copyright and full-length shows, FloMarching recently announced that subscribers can now access to the Boston Crusaders' full 2018 Finals run, in HD and with audio, on their website.

I hope this will cure your DCI season withdrawal, at least to a small extent.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You’re talking about getting a lawyer to write a better contract but I have bad reading comprehension because I didn’t know you were talking about publicity... huh

I was talking about several things, and the "all this" in your initial reply suggested that you were following that.

10 hours ago, cage said:

The artist said no and they do not need to say why.  Just like if you ask to use my car I don’t have to give you a reason why.

...unless we had a signed contract that says you will let me use your car at a certain time, in a certain way, and you don't get to ask why.

I'm well aware of how the current deals are written. You made my point perfectly with your follow up post. 

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

I get where you're coming from, but DCI has nothing to gain by taking such an adversarial stance against Tresona, especially considering the troubles in 2014.  I don't think there was ever a legal settlement in that case; merely an acknowledgement by DCI to "do better," so that can of worms could theoretically be reopened if DCI were to start scarlet lettering rights holders.

(Regarding the overarching discussion, I wholeheartedly support a much broader educational/nonprofit exemption for music groups.)

Mike

Hmm. Hopefully someone inside the organization will eventually leak it then.

Also be careful supporting a broader educational/nonprofit exemption! Think of the poor copyright trolls and publishing conglomerates!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I was talking about several things, and the "all this" in your initial reply suggested that you were following that.

...unless we had a signed contract that says you will let me use your car at a certain time, in a certain way, and you don't get to ask why.

I'm well aware of how the current deals are written. You made my point perfectly with your follow up post. 

Hmm. Hopefully someone inside the organization will eventually leak it then.

Also be careful supporting a broader educational/nonprofit exemption! Think of the poor copyright trolls and publishing conglomerates!

non profits are all about making money too. just saying

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

True, but generally for a better cause than to just increase their wealth.

So what is DCIs better cause? Is it about recordings or the members experience? And if the corps were getting wealthy then why do we see all the requests for donations?

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So what is DCIs better cause? Is it about recordings or the members experience? And if the corps were getting wealthy then why do we see all the requests for donations?

DCI's better cause is providing life-changing education and performance opportunities for youth. The recordings just exist so those performances live on forever.

Also I never said corps were getting wealthy, I was quite obviously comparing DCI (and its member corps) to for-profit corporations.

7 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Also I never said corps were getting wealthy, I was quite obviously comparing DCI (and its member corps) to for-profit corporations.

“ quite Obviously comparing”... look no one can read your mind and know exactly what you mean. All we can go by is your words and how we perceive them. So no surprise if we are not 100% in tune with what you are saying “just increase their wealth”. And earlier you were jumping around with the topics of your responses but somehow I didn’t respond to the right one or something (still not sure what you meant).

Keep that in mind next time you ask if people are really reading your posts or not responding to the “right” one of your various points 

iow I’m done with responding here

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

True, but generally for a better cause than to just increase their wealth.

but deciding to take on the publishers is a losing battle...time, money, and reputation. Let's be real here...DCI has far more pressing issues to attend to. And those issues are where the focus should squarely be