2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

6 hours ago, Sasha1 said:

Looks like the marching music downloads are available for the top 12, hoping for the rest of the corps also.  

Really looking forward to Troopers and Madison...

They’re only doing the top 12 now due to licensing.

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

They’re only doing the top 12 now due to licensing.

They do add 13 -25 corps on the downloads as they get licensing for them...I emailed DCI asking about it yesterday and the guy said they are still working on those corps video performances and will have them up on the website for download as they become cleared and available.

1 hour ago, pbeau said:

Must say audio and video editing is excellent.

My main complaint is the backfield cameras being so crappy. It's a noticeable drop in quality whenever they switch to that perspective. I wish they wouldn't use it at all, honestly. It looks so bad.

The h264 settings for this encode are clearly not the highest, but this isn't necessarily a new thing for the DCI Blu-rays. The macroblocking on the black tarp background is super noticeable in some shots. I'm assuming they do this to get away with using smaller Blu-ray discs, which is super unfortunate for the prices we're paying. I also think it should be illegal to ship interlaced video on Blu-ray in 2019, but that's another discussion altogether.

I'm a bit disappointed in the audio mix too. The brass is pretty muted. This is most obvious when listening to SCV at reference level. The beginning portion with the piano, pit, and crowd reaction has clearly been adjusted to be louder, making the initial brass hit sound pretty tame. If you jack up the volume to get the expected brass sound (say, +5 dB) then the beginning portion becomes unlistenable due to the distortion. Super disappointing, and not something I've noticed on previous releases.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

My main complaint is the backfield cameras being so crappy. It's a noticeable drop in quality whenever they switch to that perspective. I wish they wouldn't use it at all, honestly. It looks so bad.

The h264 settings for this encode are clearly not the highest, but this isn't necessarily a new thing for the DCI Blu-rays. The macroblocking on the black tarp background is super noticeable in some shots. I'm assuming they do this to get away with using smaller Blu-ray discs, which is super unfortunate for the prices we're paying. I also think it should be illegal to ship interlaced video on Blu-ray in 2019, but that's another discussion altogether.

I'm a bit disappointed in the audio mix too. The brass is pretty muted. This is most obvious when listening to SCV at reference level. The beginning portion with the piano, pit, and crowd reaction has clearly been adjusted to be louder, making the initial brass hit sound pretty tame. If you jack up the volume to get the expected brass sound (say, +5 dB) then the beginning portion becomes unlistenable due to the distortion. Super disappointing, and not something I've noticed on previous releases.

How do you know the bluray is interlaced video? 

8 minutes ago, leed17 said:

How do you know the bluray is interlaced video? 

Every DCI video release has been interlaced, but I also rip my discs to my media server and can examine the files that way.

15 hours ago, leed17 said:

They do add 13 -25 corps on the downloads as they get licensing for them...I emailed DCI asking about it yesterday and the guy said they are still working on those corps video performances and will have them up on the website for download as they become cleared and available.

I emailed today also and received the same reply, something to look forward to in the near future.

Downloading my faves from the top 12, it is taking more time/effort than I realized...

Will spend the rest of the evening wallowing blissfully in memory lane..

found this..

Edited by Sasha1

The Product is very good. Never thought I would love Blue Devils over CC so much ( stop this dark stuff please - you are wasting wonderful musicians )

• Like 2