2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

On 2/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, jeffmolnar said:

My main complaint is the backfield cameras being so crappy. It's a noticeable drop in quality whenever they switch to that perspective. I wish they wouldn't use it at all, honestly. It looks so bad.

The h264 settings for this encode are clearly not the highest, but this isn't necessarily a new thing for the DCI Blu-rays. The macroblocking on the black tarp background is super noticeable in some shots. I'm assuming they do this to get away with using smaller Blu-ray discs, which is super unfortunate for the prices we're paying. I also think it should be illegal to ship interlaced video on Blu-ray in 2019, but that's another discussion altogether.

I'm a bit disappointed in the audio mix too. The brass is pretty muted. This is most obvious when listening to SCV at reference level. The beginning portion with the piano, pit, and crowd reaction has clearly been adjusted to be louder, making the initial brass hit sound pretty tame. If you jack up the volume to get the expected brass sound (say, +5 dB) then the beginning portion becomes unlistenable due to the distortion. Super disappointing, and not something I've noticed on previous releases.

As a fellow drum corps lover and an HT enthusiast, I love this comment. 

Mentioning reference levels, H264 encoding, macro blocking, disc capacity, interlaced video(video kink?), Bluray disc, and audio distortion is well....technically stimulating. 

• Like 1

Mine arrived today.  Just started watching with SCV.  Had to log in after the duet in the ballad and the SNAP to say...UNPH!  That is so good.

Edited by KVG_DC

watched SCV. 

i'll watch the rest Monday, I need time to recover

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished disc one today  I am very happy with the BluRay ( I project it on a 6 x 9 screen and it is really good )

sound and video quality is fine by me

Got mine on Tuesday - they are, as always, stellar...Tom Blair and crew continue to pump out an awesome product for a very small niche activity in the big scheme of things - thank you.

It was cool to see the camera calls again for the portion of Bluecoats show during the end credits - really gives people an idea of how much goes in to producing these.  

On my system, the sound was fabulous, and picture was outstanding for every corps.  I have a new Sony 4K TV that I am still getting used to, but the blu-rays usually have no issue on playback.  Occasionally there is some "crawl" that I catch, but it only lasts a few seconds, and could just be the TV and some issues with settings or the fact that it wasn't the top of the line Sony 4K tv.   I never noticed issues when I had my Panasonic Plasma 1080p tv - unfortunately that kicked the bucket last summer.  Anyway, great discs, well worth the cost to me, and other than the licensing cuts that have to be done each year, I couldn't be happier.  

I haven't figured out how to get to the easter egg yet...which I am assuming is the Free Players performance.  I'll get to it sometime this weekend :)

17 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Mine arrived today.  Just started watching with SCV.  Had to log in after the duet in the ballad and the SNAP to say...UNPH!  That is so good.

Not picking  on you here individually just easy to quote your comment to make my comments regarding who people watch first when they receive their Blu-ray’s. 😊  To give every corps a  fair shot for viewing I always put all the corps names in a hat and pick them out randomly and that determines the order in which I watch the corps.   It’s a lot of fun to see who comes out where and it’s really rough when a favorite performance gets picked next to last for viewing but it is what it is. believe me I have my favorites too 🙂

56 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Not picking  on you here individually just easy to quote your comment to make my comments regarding who people watch first when they receive their Blu-ray’s. 😊  To give every corps a  fair shot for viewing I always put all the corps names in a hat and pick them out randomly and that determines the order in which I watch the corps.   It’s a lot of fun to see who comes out where and it’s really rough when a favorite performance gets picked next to last for viewing but it is what it is. believe me I have my favorites too 🙂

I actually wanted to watch Cadets, however my 6 year old is all about Vanguard since she knows someone in their guard ( I mentioned she knew someone on Crown too, but she wanted Vanguard.....i'm not arguing with a 6 year old!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

To give every corps a  fair shot for viewing I always put all the corps names in a hat and pick them out randomly and that determines the order in which I watch the corps.   It’s a lot of fun to see who comes out where and it’s really rough when a favorite performance gets picked next to last for viewing but it is what it is. believe me I have my favorites too 🙂

Open Mouth Surprised emoticon

Edited by Ghost