2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

On 2/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, fecontra said:

are you a true drumcorpsfan or just a drumcorpsplanet hack your alumni needs you Ray Priester told me in spite of your posts you are ok

i think you know zero about me, as I played in an alumni corps from 2002-2014, and have attended many alumni shows, both DCA weekend and others. But the fact is this:

The alumni corps out there continue to stay rooted in older styles that for the most part do not attract younger members. Most of the corps that stay active past one off's don't even have an active corps to feed fresh members into it. The audience base that follows the older style is slowly dying off. The alumni spectacular DCA weekend barely draws 1000 paid...most of the standstill shows do half of that. I'd love to see it thrive, but the fact is that segment of participant and fan is aging.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:07 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i think you know zero about me, as I played in an alumni corps from 2002-2014, and have attended many alumni shows, both DCA weekend and others. But the fact is this:

The alumni corps out there continue to stay rooted in older styles that for the most part do not attract younger members. Most of the corps that stay active past one off's don't even have an active corps to feed fresh members into it. The audience base that follows the older style is slowly dying off. The alumni spectacular DCA weekend barely draws 1000 paid...most of the standstill shows do half of that. I'd love to see it thrive, but the fact is that segment of participant and fan is aging.

And number of active alumni corps have taken a hit since I did it. Bridgemen and Park City who had been around for about 10 years and Yankee Rebels who had been alumni type since very late 1980s. And lost track of Blessed Sac and St Kevin’s. Local alumni show for me has been bringing in non-dc groups for more of a variety. Or maybe a way to find more groups to perform.

more on topic - do the recordings have the exhibitions and how many corps in total are on?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And lost track of Blessed Sac and St Kevin’s. Local alumni show for me has been bringing in non-dc groups for more of a variety. 

A friend of mine (yeah, amazing huh?) who went by the screen name of Contra Lou, marched with SKEK, SAC, and 27 at one time. He bought his own contra.  Pull up some of the old BFDTV Plymouth concerts and he's the short guy (sorry Lou).  When the three alumni corps were at the same concert he'd do any stage performer proud with his back stage uniform changes. As long as there was no conflict with family activities his wife said go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, George Dixon said:

man the SCV video quality, filming, sound and editing is just OUTSTANDING!!!! :inlove:

Well... given what they had to work with, I'd say you're right. And I don't mean the performers, who were excellent, but the technology they were using.

Just take a look at the clip below from the DVD that DCI posted to Youtube last month. It features the ballad. As soon as the first soloist starts, you can clearly hear something is wrong with the sound, and you can hear it again when the second soloist comes in, and the balance in that clip generally just isn't where it was earlier in the season (whether heard live or on Flo) -- issues that many people here said they they were hearing last year repeatedly during championships, only to have some others here deny those their observations.

Also, as noted by one of the Youtube commenters on the video, who was apparently a drummer in SCV, there's a mismatch between the audio and video at the end of the clip.

So DCI explained in a reply comment:

Cameron, thanks for the question! I just talked with one of the producers/directors, and there were a lot of audio issues to work through with SCV, including problems with the wireless mics as well as the direct feeds on all three nights. Therefore, the audio and video that was used on the final product was pulled from all three nights, cutting and splicing segments of audio & video together to create something that doesn't have wireless pops & clicks. Nothing was pulled from regionals.  Watch & listen to the clip again, and you can see/hear that the A/V sync with the snares gets off just as the trumpet screamer starts into his last note. It seems like they had to pull from another night in order to get a clean sound of the trumpet, and the rallantando of the drumline just didn't line up perfectly from night to night.