2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCi doesn't have the money to fight Tresona and the system. You'd need thousands of organizations to fight for a change. And they still wouldn't have deep enough pockets

Then they should be publicly naming and shaming the offending parties on their website. I dunno, anything to raise awareness... this is a niche activity, we’re never gonna have the numbers on our side alone.

5 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Then they should be publicly naming and shaming the offending parties on their website. I dunno, anything to raise awareness... this is a niche activity, we’re never gonna have the numbers on our side alone.

it wouldn't change a thing. Tresona and the publishers have the deck stacked in their favor, and they lobby the hell out of the legislatures. Honestly, it would just #### them off and make it even harder

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

it wouldn't change a thing. Tresona and the publishers have the deck stacked in their favor, and they lobby the hell out of the legislatures. Honestly, it would just #### them off and make it even harder

It’d have to boil over eventually though, right? Maybe if a celeb picked up on their song being held hostage or something, I dunno.

If what you’re saying is true though, then the current strategy of trying to play nice will just result in DCI and BOA being bullied by this organization forever. I don’t see how that could be considered an acceptable strategy.

4 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

It’d have to boil over eventually though, right? Maybe if a celeb picked up on their song being held hostage or something, I dunno.

If what you’re saying is true though, then the current strategy of trying to play nice will just result in DCI and BOA being bullied by this organization forever. I don’t see how that could be considered an acceptable strategy.

if the celebrity signed the rights away to one of those companies, they too can complain all the want...won't change a thing. And it's not just DCI and Boa...why do you think ESPN doesn't show bands more? parades often dictate what bands play. the hoops companies have to jump through to get the rights to use for a commerical....it's not just the marching arts. it's everything

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if the celebrity signed the rights away to one of those companies, they too can complain all the want...won't change a thing. And it's not just DCI and Boa...why do you think ESPN doesn't show bands more? parades often dictate what bands play. the hoops companies have to jump through to get the rights to use for a commerical....it's not just the marching arts. it's everything

Complaining generates angry masses on social media and makes the entities in question look bad. Eventually that could lead to something. Keyword could. You know what definitely won't though? Playing nice with them.

And I understand that it applies to everything. That's insane. No rational human could possibly support this system. These are youth organizations, they're not depriving publishers of any money by performing a licensed track in the Macy's parade. This crap needs to stop, and I don't see how that can ever happen without a whole lot of people being made aware of it. There isn't enough manpower in the marching arts alone.

4 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous.

These laws need to be changed.

They do. So tell everyone you know about this problem. Don't be surprised when almost everyone you know says they think other problems are more important. Don't expect any change soon. Maybe not in your lifetime. But don't give up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tresona actually makes it much easier to secure needed licenses.  Before they existed you would have to hunt down everyone that has a claim to the music and try to secure each license necessary for audio and video, like Empire State of Mind.  With the Scouts in that situation, apparently a couple of the twenty something people that held part of the rights never responded, so the piece couldn't be synched.  Tresona does not hold rights to music, they represent rights holders to ensure that their rights are protected.  They are almost like a lawyer.  Tresona now is almost one stop shopping which is good for DCI, BOA, etc.  Why do rights holders not approve, could be the arrangement, some want it played as the complete original, and obviously some just want to be paid.  I talked to the composer that sued Cavies in 1992.  He said even though the piece was  only  played publically once at a music educators conference, recorded by someone and used by Cavies without permission, he was going to let the get away with it until the watered down the arrangement. For video the rights holders may not like how their music is depicted visually.  I know many of you don't agree with any of this but private property rights are the backbone to our economic system in this country.  It is really know different than using someone's patent without permission.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cage said:

Tresona actually makes it much easier to secure needed licenses.  Before they existed you would have to hunt down everyone that has a claim to the music and try to secure each license necessary for audio and video, like Empire State of Mind.  With the Scouts in that situation, apparently a couple of the twenty something people that held part of the rights never responded, so the piece couldn't be synched.  Tresona does not hold rights to music, they represent rights holders to ensure that their rights are protected.  They are almost like a lawyer.  Tresona now is almost one stop shopping which is good for DCI, BOA, etc.  Why do rights holders not approve, could be the arrangement, some want it played as the complete original, and obviously some just want to be paid.  I talked to the composer that sued Cavies in 1992.  He said even though the piece was  only  played publically once at a music educators conference, recorded by someone and used by Cavies without permission, he was going to let the get away with it until the watered down the arrangement. For video the rights holders may not like how their music is depicted visually.  I know many of you don't agree with any of this but private property rights are the backbone to our economic system in this country.  It is really know different than using someone's patent without permission.

No one's arguing against private property rights, I don't know why you keep coming at it from that angle (although our patent laws are equally ridiculous and only serve to harm the market and stifle innovation, but that's another discussion altogether).

The issue is these groups have already secured the rights to play this music during their competition season, but videos of that season can't be made available. That's ridiculous. Those things shouldn't be separated. If they're licensed to play a track at their competition, videos of that competition should be able to be seen. There shouldn't be this multi-step process of securing rights for each individual thing.

The reason Scouts couldn’t use Empire was because one company held the rights exclusively for their commercials running at the time...I think it was an insurance company.  This was described on DCP years ago, so you could probably find the thread and get the full info.  Robert W. Smith described it in detail...

Jack Stamp wrote Gavorkna, and while he certainly had the right to sue, I hope he realized how many band directors purchased his piece AFTER hearing Cavies play it.  I was one of them...it’s really free advertising for the composer of the original work.  Cavies should have absolutely paid though, so he certainly has the right to take legal action...

2 hours ago, cage said:

Tresona actually makes it much easier to secure needed licenses.  Before they existed you would have to hunt down everyone that has a claim to the music and try to secure each license necessary for audio and video, like Empire State of Mind.  With the Scouts in that situation, apparently a couple of the twenty something people that held part of the rights never responded, so the piece couldn't be synched.  Tresona does not hold rights to music, they represent rights holders to ensure that their rights are protected.  They are almost like a lawyer.  Tresona now is almost one stop shopping which is good for DCI, BOA, etc.

One point that should be clear: Tresona represents a lot of rights holders, but by no means all of them. Maybe not even a majority of them.