2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

On 12/29/2018 at 8:09 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Copyright having been discussed in this thread, this New York Times story may be of interest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/29/books/copyright-extension-literature-public-domain.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

For the first time in 20 years--since Congress, at the behest of Disney, extended copyright terms to 95 years--new works are entering the public domain.

Now if we can just get Congress to roll back the copyright term to something sensible, like 50 years.

For the same reasons, this discussion about fair use is fascinating.

Remember six years ago when DCI's most popular video ever was its entry in the "Harlem Shake" meme sensation? DCI subsequently disabled comments on that video, but they were scathing, because the video completely fails to deliver the meme's key elements. Still, DCI realized that memes are a way that people communicate with one another, and tried to boost its visibility thereby.

Well, I've just been reading an earlier meme I missed that sprang up four years earlier--which yesterday surprisingly became relevant again: a series of videos in which people reenacted dance moves from The Breakfast Club and other 1980s teen movies, all set to a newer song, "Lisztomania" by Phoenix (a piece I never heard before yesterday). What's fascinating is that a media studies professor then posted a video about the whole phenomenon as an example of how memes develop -- but the company that owns the rights to "Lisztomania" threatened the professor with copyright infringement and got his video taken down!

But the professor, with the assistance of the Electronic Frontiers Foundation, sued the record company, who settled with him for an undisclosed amount, and changed its rules to be more lenient in fair use situations.

The good guys can win! But not often; it turns out that the person who posted the first such "Lisztomania" meme video had her account disabled by Youtube for the same reasons.

(And why is this in the news? Because one of these videos featured someone who yesterday became a member of the United States Congress. But I'm less interested in that aspect, and we shouldn't discuss it here.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 7:01 PM, FaustianMachine said:

Earlier today, I emailed the DCI Store Customer Service and found out that the Blu-Rays should begin shipping on the 28th!

DCI store lists a new ship date of “on or after 2/1”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leed17 said:

DCI store lists a new ship date of “on or after 2/1”

Yeah, I just noticed that to. In the email I got from a Shelby Hall, she stated 1/28, but that was before they posted the new date. I'm not sure which is accurate. 

New info has been posted, more specific segments with time lengths. 

"Please note, due to copyrights and licensing, the following edits have been made:

· Blue Knights – 02:01 of the "Welcome to the Machine" segment has been omitted  

· Crossmen – 01:48 of the "Funeral for a Friend" segment has been omitted

· The Cavaliers – 01:40 of pre-recorded audio has been omitted 

· Mandarins – 00:40 of pre-recorded audio has been omitted"

For those of you playing along with your totally legal copies of audio and video, it appears Blue Knights show cuts from the end of Exit Music/Snare feature and pics up right at the vocal of Sun King before Time After Time. For Crossmen, it looks like their show will start at the bass feature. Edits for The Cavaliers and Mandarins seem to be the same as the CD. 

Edited by FaustianMachine

good place to start at least for Crossmen. if i want to hear the Thurston lick, well, it made the cd's