2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??

32 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

well, few machines are dvd only anymore, and the blueray devices have all of the streaming options built in. makes sense to me

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

No more DVD's.  Yet they still won't offer video download bundles.  (Not to mention they still get CDs pressed... :blink:)

Mike

probably a licensing thing

How does DCI not get some sort of license exemption? It’s a non-profit youth organization. I feel like that should be a lay-up for any half decent lawyer.

Edited by jeffmolnar

Not surprised DCI is dropping the DVD option. Everything eventually gets phased out. Considering that Blu-ray players have been available to consumers since 2003 and became fairly affordable by around 2008/2009 or so, and DCI starting offering finals on Blu-ray in 2009, I'm surprised it took this long. How far into the life cycle of the DVD medium did DCI stop offering VHS?

Edited by Beckham

4 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

How does DCI not get some sort of license exemption? It’s a non-profit youth organization. I feel like that should be a lay-up for any half decent lawyer.

Their half-decent lawyers (BOA's too) turned out to be no match for Tresona's better lawyers.

In short, the problem is bad laws. But we've talked that subject to death.

2 hours ago, Beckham said:

Not surprised DCI is dropping the DVD option. Everything eventually gets phased out. Considering that Blu-ray players have been available to consumers since 2003 and became fairly affordable by around 2008/2009 or so, and DCI starting offering finals on Blu-ray in 2009, I'm surprised it took this long. How far into the life cycle of the DVD medium did DCI stop offering VHS?

I think 2001

On 10/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, Beckham said:

Actually, the first Bluray player went on sale to consumers in 2006. The first PROTOTYPE as released in 2003 in Japan. 

DVDs are no longer being released with Bluray combos anymore. DVD sales have been falling 3-6% since Bluray disc was released. I am also surprised it took this long, but I don't buy DCI excuse for keeping Bluray prices so high after all of these years. If small independent studios can license and release independent films and big studio films on Bluray - and it costs only $30 bucks, DCI can do the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, deftguy said:

If small independent studios can license and release independent films and big studio films on Bluray - and it costs only $30 bucks, DCI can do the same thing. 

For now, I wait a few years and pay $69 per BR.

• Like 1