2018 DVD/BluRays DCI Champ Finals??


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Guardguy89 said:

I can't seem to access Marching Music Downloads anymore - I'm wondering if its because I'm in Canada ?  I thought they had just taken the site down.,  Are any of you in the US able to access it ?

 

Mike

Working fine for me in Texas.

Edited by jeffmolnar
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The delay has been to try to license as much as possible.  Anything that was cut was only done so because the sync rights were denied.  Everything else has been licensed, including a cut we were going

I will ALWAYS take physical media over streaming options. Streaming can be taken away easily - what are your options for watching 1984 Suncoast Sound right now? But nobody is ever coming to my home to

A brief review: Vanguard yes please may I have another    ill start listening to everyone else tomorrow 

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is blatantly false. 

DCI has been paying for licensing since the 1970s.  What was missed in the 1970s (and 1980s, and 1990s) was the permission to arrange the music.  That was a shortcoming among the individual corps.

and sync rights, etc. basically they ignored the laws on the books. so did DCA, WGI, and everyone else

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and sync rights, etc. basically they ignored the laws on the books. so did DCA, WGI, and everyone else

Wrong again.  DCI covered sync rights on their video products, and kicked the Kiwanis Kavaliers off the video set one year because of the effect their Beatles show would have had on the cost of that licensing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cixelsyd said:

Wrong again.  DCI covered sync rights on their video products, and kicked the Kiwanis Kavaliers off the video set one year because of the effect their Beatles show would have had on the cost of that licensing.

so if they were doing this as said, then why the sudden uproar 3 years ago? DCI themselves said they didn't follow the laws. And once the mega merger created Tresona, they had someone to call them out on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Wrong again.  DCI covered sync rights on their video products, and kicked the Kiwanis Kavaliers off the video set one year because of the effect their Beatles show would have had on the cost of that licensing.

And was that pre or post creation of internet days? Some copyright holders have been pretty vigilant in keeping up on use. Believe Beatles copyright holders are in the group. 

Know it was audio only but plenty of corps played Beatles 60s/70s and doubt if they payed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so if they were doing this as said, then why the sudden uproar 3 years ago? 

Better lawyers got involved.

Quote

DCI themselves said they didn't follow the laws.

As I understand it, DCI was acting in good faith, licensing everything they did.  But then they learned that if the corps either...

a. failed to obtain permission to arrange, or

b. obtained permission to arrange with restrictions for audio/video

... that rendered DCI licensing moot.

Evidently (again, as I understand it), the entire world of educational music only began receiving adequate legal advice on this issue about four years ago.  Here is where that started:

https://www.midwestclinic.org/2014_clinician_Eric_Martin.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And was that pre or post creation of internet days? Some copyright holders have been pretty vigilant in keeping up on use. Believe Beatles copyright holders are in the group. 

Know it was audio only but plenty of corps played Beatles 60s/70s and doubt if they payed.

2003, so we had internet.  It would be several more years before DCI would start streaming video, though.  For that matter, 2003 non-finalists were still relegated to VHS only.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Better lawyers got involved.

As I understand it, DCI was acting in good faith, licensing everything they did.  But then they learned that if the corps either...

a. failed to obtain permission to arrange, or

b. obtained permission to arrange with restrictions for audio/video

... that rendered DCI licensing moot.

Evidently (again, as I understand it), the entire world of educational music only began receiving adequate legal advice on this issue about four years ago.  Here is where that started:

https://www.midwestclinic.org/2014_clinician_Eric_Martin.html

Doesn't all of that mean that corps were getting away with not following the letter of the law for quite awhile before it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Better lawyers got involved.

As I understand it, DCI was acting in good faith, licensing everything they did.  But then they learned that if the corps either...

a. failed to obtain permission to arrange, or

b. obtained permission to arrange with restrictions for audio/video

... that rendered DCI licensing moot.

Evidently (again, as I understand it), the entire world of educational music only began receiving adequate legal advice on this issue about four years ago.  Here is where that started:

https://www.midwestclinic.org/2014_clinician_Eric_Martin.html

oh I remember when I hit. I also remember Dan flatly stating they didn't do it right in one of his releases too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.