Relative Newbie

So, I discovered DCI the summer of 2016, which was the summer going into my sophomore year in high school, and I was absolutely blown away. I had received tickets to a DCI show in a silent auction fundraiser for my band, which I’d bid on because I wanted to see what all this DCI I’d been hearing about was. I can’t remember the specific event, but I do remember that I got to see Crown and Bluecoats live...and I’ve been a huge fan of this activity ever since.

Anyway, on to the point of this topic. I haven’t watched very many older shows, and that’s a problem. I need help figuring out which shows to go back and watch.

(I don’t want links to the videos, I can find those on my own, and I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

• Like 1

Welcome Striker.  You're request would be real easy if Fan Network was still around.  You might have to research the music corps have played over the years and see if you can find a video.  Check out DCI's video collection of favorite shows over the years to find suggestions.  Don't forget the none top 12 corps and Open Class corps.  Many great shows from those corps.  But definitely watch corps starting in the 60's to this past season to see how the activity has changed.  Keep us posted about what you find since many of us might learn something.

• Like 2

Try the "Top 10 Favorite shows of all time" thread for plenty of recommendations. And welcome!

I'll chime in, from the DCI era, although there are many great shows pre-DCI if you can find them.

1970's

1975-Madison Scouts

1976-Blue Devils

1978-Phantom Regiment

1980's

1980-Spirit of Atlanta

1981-SCV

1983-Cadets

1986-Blue Devils

1987-Cadets

1989-SCV and Star

1990's

1990-Cadest

1991-Cadets, SCV, BD

1992-Madison, VK

1993-BD, Cadets

1995-Cadets

1997-Madison

1999-SCV

2000's

2000-BD

2003-Phantom

2005-Cadets

2007-BD

2011-Cadets

2012-BD, Crown

2014-BD

2015-Bluecoats

2016-Cavaliers

There are countless others, but these are some of my favorites, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'll chime in, from the DCI era, although there are many great shows pre-DCI if you can find them.

1970's

1975-Madison Scouts

1976-Blue Devils

1978-Phantom Regiment

1980's

1980-Spirit of Atlanta

1981-SCV

1983-Cadets

1986-Blue Devils

1987-Cadets

1989-SCV and Star

1990's

1990-Cadest

1991-Cadets, SCV, BD

1992-Madison, VK

1993-BD, Cadets

1995-Cadets

1997-Madison

1999-SCV

2000's

2000-BD

2003-Phantom

2005-Cadets

2007-BD

2011-Cadets

2012-BD, Crown

2014-BD

2015-Bluecoats

2016-Cavaliers

There are countless others, but these are some of my favorites, for what it's worth.

Add to this:  Boston 2000, 2017 & 2018, 1982 27th, late 70's Bridgemen.  And many other corps not with the names you see here.  There are lots of entertaining shows out there (ex.  Jersey Surf, 2016 Academy, 2017 & 18 Mandarin)  Also check out youtube for a huge number of videos that are not just the shows but in the lot stuff and recent Flow Marching and Vic Firth tutorials (sort of).

• Like 1

If you have access to the Legacy DVD's and the subsequent championship DVD's, I'd recommend a "backwards" approach. Begin with a current year such as 2016 or 2017 and go back a  year. If you begin with, let's say 2014 and then watch 2013, you see the progress made each year and how in most cases, one year builds on the previous year. I'd also recommend not starting at the beginning of a DVD. Watch beginning with 12th place and work up to first.

Another thing I enjoy doing, especially on snow days when I have time on my hands, is just picking a year at random, and randomly watch shows. It's a great reward for spending a day shoveling and a reminder winter does not last forever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

If you have access to the Legacy DVD's and the subsequent championship DVD's, I'd recommend a "backwards" approach. Begin with a current year such as 2016 or 2017 and go back a  year. If you begin with, let's say 2014 and then watch 2013, you see the changes made each year and how in most cases, one year builds on the previous year. I'd also recommend not starting at the beginning of a DVD. Watch beginning with 12th place and work up to first.

This is excellent advice.

It seems the underground of Legacy media owners have a captive market of newbies trying to understand our history.

You might just ask around the band/indoor/drum corps world for friends who might know someone with legacy media.

Sitting down to an evening of 12 shows on BluRay is a whole lot better than watching scratchy YT videos.  And you'll surely make some friends who are geeks like you.

Oh, and while I can't disagree with Tim's approach, I do believe there are some benchmark shows that defined eras, or legacies, or shifts in design.  The Cadets Three-pete story, '87 SCV, Cavies drill design, Crown's Triple Crown are great examples, IMO.

Edited by garfield

20 hours ago, furious-winter said:

Try the "Top 10 Favorite shows of all time" thread for plenty of recommendations. And welcome!

Where can I find this thread?

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

If you have access to the Legacy DVD's and the subsequent championship DVD's, I'd recommend a "backwards" approach. Begin with a current year such as 2016 or 2017 and go back a  year. If you begin with, let's say 2014 and then watch 2013, you see the progress made each year and how in most cases, one year builds on the previous year. I'd also recommend not starting at the beginning of a DVD. Watch beginning with 12th place and work up to first.

Another thing I enjoy doing, especially on snow days when I have time on my hands, is just picking a year at random, and randomly watch shows. It's a great reward for spending a day shoveling and a reminder winter does not last forever.

Sadly, I don’t have access to either of those things and, as a minor without a job, have no money to go buy any myself.

4 hours ago, garfield said:

It seems the underground of Legacy media owners has a captive market of newbies trying to understand our history.

You might just ask around the band/indoor/drum corps world for friends who might know someone with legacy media.

Sitting down to an evening of 12 shows on BluRay is a whole lot better than watching scratchy YT videos.  And you'll surely make some friends who are geeks like you.

Oh, and while I can't disagree with Tim's approach, I do believe there are some benchmark shows that defined eras, or legacies, or shifts in design.  The Cadets Three-pete story, '87 SCV, Cavies drill design, Crown's Triple Crown are great examples, IMO.

Who should I ask? Just other people in my band? Besides them, I don’t really know anyone in the drum corps world.