Relative Newbie

Has not been mentioned yet but you will want to watch Suncoast Sound 1988...easily 15 years ahead of its time.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 11:18 PM, StrikerEZ said:

So, I discovered DCI the summer of 2016, which was the summer going into my sophomore year in high school, and I was absolutely blown away. I had received tickets to a DCI show in a silent auction fundraiser for my band, which I’d bid on because I wanted to see what all this DCI I’d been hearing about was. I can’t remember the specific event, but I do remember that I got to see Crown and Bluecoats live...and I’ve been a huge fan of this activity ever since.

Anyway, on to the point of this topic. I haven’t watched very many older shows, and that’s a problem. I need help figuring out which shows to go back and watch.

(I don’t want links to the videos, I can find those on my own, and I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Here is a top 50 video list. In no particular order. Score not a factor either.

1Bluecoats 2014: Tilt

2Phantom Regiment 2008: "Spartacus"

3Bluecoats 2016 : "Downside up"

4Carolina Crown 2015: "Inferno"

5Blue Devils 2014: "Felliniesque"

6Santa Clara Vanguard 1989: "Phantom of the Opera"

7Star of Indiana 1993: "The Music of Barber and Bartok"

8Carolina Crown 2013: "E=MC^2"

9The Cavaliers 2002: "Frameworks"

10The Cadets 2011: "Between Angels and Demons"

11The Academy 2016: "Drum Corpse Bride"

12Madison Scouts 1988: "Malaguena"

13Blue Devils 2017: "Metamorph"

14Santa Clara Vanguard 2018: “Babylon”

15Star of Indiana 1991: "Roman Images"

16Bluecoats 2015: "Kinetic Noise"

17Carolina Crown 2016: “Relentless”

18The Cadets 1987: "Appalachian Spring"

19The Cadets 2005: "The Zone: Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door"

20Blue Devils 2012: "Cabaret Voltaire"

21The Cavaliers 2006: "The Machine"

22Phantom Regiment 2011: "Juliet"

23Santa Clara Vanguard: "Force of Nature"

24The Cadets 2000: "We Are the Future"

25The Cavaliers 2004: "007"

26Carolina Crown 2012: "For the Common Good"

27Santa Clara Vanguard 2015: "The Spark of Invention"

28Santa Clara Vanguard 2013: "Les Misérables"

29Boston Crusaders 2014: "Animal Farm"

30Blue Devils 2009: "1930"

31Blue Devils 2010: "Through a Glass Darkly"

32The Cavaliers 2016: "Propaganda"

33Carolina Crown 2014: "Out of This World"

34Bluecoats 2010: "Metropolis: The Future Is Now"

35Bluecoats 2011: "A Brave New World"

36Santa Clara Vanguard 2017: "Ouroboros"

37Boston Crusaders 2017: “Wicked Games”

38The Cadets 1998: Stonehenge

39Santa Clara Vanguard 2009: "Ballet for Martha"

40The Cavaliers 2010: "Mad World"

41The Cavaliers 2011: "XtraordinarY"

42Blue Devils 2003: "The Phenomenon Of Cool"

43Boston Crusaders 2000: "Red"

44Santa Clara Vanguard 1999: "Inventions for a New Millennium"

45Carolina Crown 2008: "Finis"

46Blue Devils 2015: "Ink"

47Blue Devils 2004: "The SummerTrain Blues MIX"

48Blue Devils 2013: "The Re:Rrite of Spring"

49Blue Devils 1996: "Club Blue: A Gangster Chronicle"

50The Academy 2014: "Vanity Fair"

Edited by Liahona
I had one repeat...woops :-)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Sadly, I don’t have access to either of those things and, as a minor without a job, have no money to go buy any myself.

This is an extreme longshot, but does you public library have an interlibrary loan system? Librarians can be pretty resourceful and there could be a library that has al least some of the DVD's. 

As I say this, I do realize it is a longshot. I looked up DCI on the Boston Public Library system and the results yielded the British mystery series "D.C.I. Banks" and a book, "The Premier Guide to starting a Drum Corps" which according to the description will help the reader start a  drum corps in six weeks!

Some of the Facebook groups also have videos.

Though this is not a video, you may also want to subscribe to "Drum Corps World." It is free, and has a lot of good information both historical information as well as what is happening in drum corps today. The writers are knowledgeable and the photography is excellent.

• Haha 1

Ugh, my post wouldn’t send for whatever reason. Here’s the gist of what I’d typed:

@Liahona I’ve actually seen several of those shows already, including Metropolis, which is the oldest show I’ve watched besides Between Angels and Demons, Brave New World, which has the best opening of all the shows I’ve seen so far, and all of the top five shows from about 2014 to now.

@Tim K I’m not sure if my library has an interlibrary loan system. I also have no time to go the library because I have school, band rehearsals, contests on Saturdays, and Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra rehearsals on Sunday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

"The Premier Guide to starting a Drum Corps" which according to the description will help the reader start a  drum corps in six weeks!

Starting a Drum Corps For Dummies!  I like it!

Losing Fan Network still bites.  Just sayin...

• Like 2

Welcome to the family StrikerEZ

For those of us who have been around for what feels like forever we've seen the activity morph and evolve to the style and quality of shows you see today, but for you it may be a bit of a shock to see how different shows used to be. Instrumentation, complexity, visual-driven vs music-driven designs, depth of theme... all of these and so much more are a big change from where we came from

That being said, some shows stand the test of time better than others. Here a few of my favorites. Keep in mind that I'm a brass guy, and that probably flavors my favorites list.

2008 Carolina Crown "Finis"

2007 Phantom Regiment "On Air"

2005 Blue Devils "The SummerTrain Blues Mix"

2000 Boston Crusaders "Red"

1997 Madison Scouts "The Pirates of Lake Mendota"

1995 The Cadets "An American Quintet"

1993 everything that year

1991 Star of Indiana "Roman Images"

1991 Blue Devils "Conversations in Jazz"

1988/89 Santa Clara Vanguard "Phantom of the Opera"

1988 Blue Devils

1988 Velvet Knights "Magical Mystery Tour - Part II"

1988 Suncoast Sound "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child"

Have fun!

17 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Where can I find this thread?

Sadly, I don’t have access to either of those things and, as a minor without a job, have no money to go buy any myself.

Who should I ask? Just other people in my band? Besides them, I don’t really know anyone in the drum corps world.

honestly....look here or other places which have best shows lists. check facebook groups like 80's drum corps, 90's drum corps etc...tons of stuff up there

7 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Ugh, my post wouldn’t send for whatever reason. Here’s the gist of what I’d typed:

@Liahona I’ve actually seen several of those shows already, including Metropolis, which is the oldest show I’ve watched besides Between Angels and Demons, Brave New World, which has the best opening of all the shows I’ve seen so far, and all of the top five shows from about 2014 to now.

@Tim K I’m not sure if my library has an interlibrary loan system. I also have no time to go the library because I have school, band rehearsals, contests on Saturdays, and Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra rehearsals on Sunday.

Sounds like you have a full plate. If you don’t have time to visit the library, a phone call, text, or internet search could probably let you know if your library has inter library capabilities. I also said it’s a long shot. 

Where so many kids who march are from Texas, talk it up with kids in the orchestra. They may know where you can get videos and may even be able to connect you with people who march.

it does sound from the comments you made to Liahona that you’re pretty familiar with drum corps already, more than a “Relative Newbie.” Though this is not a solution for today, try and get to shows and subscribe to Flo Marching. Put it on the Christmas list, same with the Legacy DVD’s and subsequent DVD’s and BluRays. 

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Sounds like you have a full plate. If you don’t have time to visit the library, a phone call, text, or internet search could probably let you know if your library has inter library capabilities. I also said it’s a long shot. 

Where so many kids who march are from Texas, talk it up with kids in the orchestra. They may know where you can get videos and may even be able to connect you with people who march.

it does sound from the comments you made to Liahona that you’re pretty familiar with drum corps already, more than a “Relative Newbie.” Though this is not a solution for today, try and get to shows and subscribe to Flo Marching. Put it on the Christmas list, same with the Legacy DVD’s and subsequent DVD’s and BluRays. 

Yeah, that probably would’ve been the easier way to do it lol.

That sounds like a good idea. I’ll have to ask David, a guy who marched Mandarins this past year, if he has any videos. And there might be someone I know in my band who has a flash drive with tons of shows on it, so I might see if I can get my hands on that....

Well, I guess it just depends on your definition of ”relative.” I’ve only been following the activity for a couple years now, but I’ve gone back and watched a few older shows. (Tilt should’ve won lol)