Relative Newbie

On 10/15/2018 at 2:39 PM, StrikerEZ said:

Honestly, I kinda agree with you on your assessment of recent years in drum corps. For the past few years, there’s been a couple of really good shows each year, but not very many overall, and just one or two amazing ones. Once you get past the top 6 shows (for the most part, Academy 2016 is an example of when this isn’t the case), they all start to blur together and get really boring. I feel like this year was a good step in a new direction because there were a lot more shows this year than normal that were actually really good (besides Babylon), like Session 44, S.O.S., Life Rite After, This New World (an underrated show this year), Hell on Wheels. I feel like Beast had the potential, but it just wasn’t quite there yet. I’m kinda liking the new direction Crown is going, and I feel like once their new design team figures out the kinks they’ll be really good. As long as they keep that hornline insanely good as always. I could also do with them going back to more simple versions of their base uniform or even a revamped cream uniform.

I did like 2018 much more than 2014-2017, for sure. You listed the shows I really liked except This New World. To me, the design was so poor and sloppy. It seemed to me the theme was only created around wanting to play New World Symphony, and I feel that's been the case for several of Regiment's recent themes. The tarp at the front of the field was very poorly utilized and didn't add anything to the show, same with the props - it seemed a "we have to have props" move, the guard uniforms blended in too much with the field, and musically it was kind of just boring. I thought their drill was better than in recent years, but to me they are following Madison's lead, and that isn't a good thing. 

Now, it's not about keeping up with the Joneses, it's about figuring out what's next and beating the Joneses to the punch. That's why SCV has been able to rise in 2017-2018. They've figured it out. 

Vanguard, Crown, Regiment, Cadets and Madison are my five favorite corps, and I feel three of them took big steps backwards this year, one (Cadets) was slightly improved, and only one made a giant leap forward. That doesn't make me happy for four of them.

And, singling Regiment out here yes, but I feel I could say similar things for any corps other than 1-3, 5-6, 8, 10, 13 and 14 from last year.

Edited by queenanne_1536

On 10/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

You're going to get a bunch of different opinions. I'd take those opinions and view some of the suggested shows based on period. For me, '85 - '93 is probably my favorite era because most shows were so highly entertaining. The hornlines played more, the drill was demanding and cohesive, and the guard work was very synchronized. Vanguard 2018 is one of my all time favorite shows, but in general the activity has lost me a bit after 2013. I just find of 12 finalist shows I'm generally bored with 7-8 of them. I didn't feel that way '84 - 2013. Find the era you like most and start there, then branch out.

I think you hit the nail on the head and my guess is that it's honesty generational. My first live experience with DCI was in 1984 in Birmingham and I started marching in 1987. I'm drawn to roughly that same time frame of shows with very few exceptions and usually those exceptions are very much stand out's for one reason or another (2016 Bluecoats would be an example.)

To my eyes and ears, the mid-80's through roughly 2011 had a great balance between M&M, sound, accessible (and entertaining) music all of which created highly entertaining shows that I can still hum from beginning to end to this day (as I type this '87 Sky Ryders "There's a place for us" just popped into my head.) I don't know if to my senses the horns line played more. I always felt through performing and playing, that the musical level (difficulty,) hasn't really changed much from then to now. The drill is certainly more demanding and I MARVEL at how these young adults fly across the field. There's just something about the fine balance of that "generation" of shows that makes them memorable to me more so that today's. 

My father hated the electronics being introduced but I truly believe that if used tastefully, they can add a tremendous amount of additional voicing to shows. As he got older, I would introduce him to shows with subtle uses of electronics and I truly don't believe he ever noticed. 

In short, I think the biggest difference came to me when I first saw PR 2010. That show, whether you are a fan or not, elicited an emotional response that to me, sums up a generation of drum corps sound which I continue to search for every year and every show.