Relative Newbie

On 10/11/2018 at 9:57 PM, StrikerEZ said:

Yeah, that probably would’ve been the easier way to do it lol.

That sounds like a good idea. I’ll have to ask David, a guy who marched Mandarins this past year, if he has any videos. And there might be someone I know in my band who has a flash drive with tons of shows on it, so I might see if I can get my hands on that....

Well, I guess it just depends on your definition of ”relative.” I’ve only been following the activity for a couple years now, but I’ve gone back and watched a few older shows. (Tilt should’ve won lol)

Not that I condone possibly "questionable" videos, but an internet search using some filters pretty much got me to full shows of everything listed so far. Granted, the audio/video quality can be questionable. It's a shame that PBS.org doesn't have anything in their video archives after all of the years championships were aired there. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Not that I condone possibly "questionable" videos, but an internet search using some filters pretty much got me to full shows of everything listed so far. Granted, the audio/video quality can be questionable. It's a shame that PBS.org doesn't have anything in their video archives after all of the years championships were aired there. 

Wonder what are the legalities of those pbs videos. Seems like back then less rights laws on music, audio and video rights as compared to today. And the laws that existed were ignored. PBS probably has the rights to the recordings but as to the music itself? Could end up with no audio at spots like today if anyone even wants to do the research.

Caballeros used to have video of every year back to early sixties. Haven’t seen that in years and was about the time copyright protectors started getting tight with things 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder what are the legalities of those pbs videos. Seems like back then less rights laws on music, audio and video rights as compared to today. And the laws that existed were ignored. PBS probably has the rights to the recordings but as to the music itself? Could end up with no audio at spots like today if anyone even wants to do the research.

Valid point. I haven't studied how the laws actually work nor do I have the patience to truly wade into the subject as it deserves. I would have thought in my younger years that there would be some sort of statute of limitations if you will on video material.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Valid point. I haven't studied how the laws actually work nor do I have the patience to truly wade into the subject as it deserves. I would have thought in my younger years that there would be some sort of statute of limitations if you will on video material.

Going off topic but might explain why tough to find older stuff. What I remember from earlier discussions is different copyrights on what is recorded and the music itself. Why we have no sound on parts of the dvds for DCI and DCA doesn't record at all.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Going off topic but might explain why tough to find older stuff. What I remember from earlier discussions is different copyrights on what is recorded and the music itself. Why we have no sound on parts of the dvds for DCI and DCA doesn't record at all.

I spoke with the young man who sold the  DVD’s at finals, probably two years ago. He had said at the time that once a DVD or BluRay is sold out, it will most likely be gone for good. With the cost of securing rights, along with the manufacturing, once you reissue a DVD or BluRay, a certain number have to be sold to break even. My guess is that anything over ten years old would not be worth DCI’s while financially to rerelease. I am glad I had the opportunity to purchase what I did when it was available. 

• Thanks 1

You're going to get a bunch of different opinions. I'd take those opinions and view some of the suggested shows based on period. For me, '85 - '93 is probably my favorite era because most shows were so highly entertaining. The hornlines played more, the drill was demanding and cohesive, and the guard work was very synchronized. Vanguard 2018 is one of my all time favorite shows, but in general the activity has lost me a bit after 2013. I just find of 12 finalist shows I'm generally bored with 7-8 of them. I didn't feel that way '84 - 2013. Find the era you like most and start there, then branch out.

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You're going to get a bunch of different opinions. I'd take those opinions and view some of the suggested shows based on period. For me, '85 - '93 is probably my favorite era because most shows were so highly entertaining. The hornlines played more, the drill was demanding and cohesive, and the guard work was very synchronized. Vanguard 2018 is one of my all time favorite shows, but in general the activity has lost me a bit after 2013. I just find of 12 finalist shows I'm generally bored with 7-8 of them. I didn't feel that way '84 - 2013. Find the era you like most and start there, then branch out.

Honestly, I kinda agree with you on your assessment of recent years in drum corps. For the past few years, there’s been a couple of really good shows each year, but not very many overall, and just one or two amazing ones. Once you get past the top 6 shows (for the most part, Academy 2016 is an example of when this isn’t the case), they all start to blur together and get really boring. I feel like this year was a good step in a new direction because there were a lot more shows this year than normal that were actually really good (besides Babylon), like Session 44, S.O.S., Life Rite After, This New World (an underrated show this year), Hell on Wheels. I feel like Beast had the potential, but it just wasn’t quite there yet. I’m kinda liking the new direction Crown is going, and I feel like once their new design team figures out the kinks they’ll be really good. As long as they keep that hornline insanely good as always. I could also do with them going back to more simple versions of their base uniform or even a revamped cream uniform.

21 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I could also do with them going back to more simple versions of their base uniform or even a revamped cream uniform.

Yes, this please