Looking For Some Advice

I’m kinda new to forums so forgive me if I’m doing this wrong. I’m sorta young, 16 this summer, but I’m looking to start auditioning for Drum Corps now, so I can start trying to achieve this huge goal I have. I’m looking for advice from anyone really. Should I start by just auditioning for Open Class Corps? Or just jump right into World Class? If so, how should I go about choosing what corps to audition for? I have a few ideas but I’m afraid to go out for world class because I’m afraid to embarrass myself😅

Any advice or tips are appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, once again, I’m kinda new to this. Thanks!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vycsyn said:

I’m kinda new to forums so forgive me if I’m doing this wrong. I’m sorta young, 16 this summer, but I’m looking to start auditioning for Drum Corps now, so I can start trying to achieve this huge goal I have. I’m looking for advice from anyone really. Should I start by just auditioning for Open Class Corps? Or just jump right into World Class? If so, how should I go about choosing what corps to audition for? I have a few ideas but I’m afraid to go out for world class because I’m afraid to embarrass myself😅

Any advice or tips are appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, once again, I’m kinda new to this. Thanks!

Welcome to DCP.  Hold on to your hat it can get rough from time to time.  But generally there are really good people with tons of experience in DC and music and marching arts.  There isn't a question you could have where there won't be someone to answer it for you. My initial advice to you is, do some research on corps in both open or world class.  Find a style you like whether it is a visual style or musical style.  There are many to choose from.  Find out about the org's. history, instructional staff(which can change a lot) and the corps admin.  How do they travel/tour? Long tour short tour?  What is the tuition/cost associated with the corps.  Costs can be steep for some ($4,000/year or more). Do you want to tour?  What kind of physical requirements are there. Yup, lots to look at.  But ask questions here.  DCP'rs can help you with anything you want to know.  Best of luck to you.  And again, welcome to the planet.

• Like 1

No idea where you live but here is my standard plug for All Age corps if any are nearby. Get a good taste of being in a corps without the tour and hopefully cheaper. Others have started all age and then to junior without hard feelings from the all age corps.

PS I was 16 when I joined....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vycsyn said:

Audition season has begun!  Many corps hold virtual/video auditions.  Browse the sites of the corps that interest you.  Do not worry about embarrassing yourself. The staff at the best corps will want to be helpful, and guide you toward where you will be most comfortable.  They know that after 2-3 years of good experience in the activity, you could be exactly what they'll want.  The worst they will say is that you are not ready for them.  @LabMastergave you some great things to consider: cost, style, history, etc.  Have fun with the process, and enjoy corps shopping and auditioning!  We'll all look forward to hearing about how it goes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vycsyn said:

Age is not really too much a factor unless you are thinking of joining perhaps the top 7 or so WC corps in DCI. I could probably guide you with better advice if I knew a few more details.  Your location, whether finances are an issue, how do you parents feel about it, are you auditioning for brass, percussion, or guard, and which corps is your dream corps.  I'll assume that your huge goal is to be a part of one of the elite corps. If that is the case, then you are going to want to gain and build experience.  

That said I can give you a few basic tips. I would first focus on gaining experience with a local corps as that would be most economical and probably a little easier in terms of anxiety for your parents. I would concentrate on either the lower 1/3 of World-class,  an open-class corps, or a DCA corps.  Keep in mind that percussion is MUCH more competitive than brass as a general rule.  If you are a brass player, you will excel your greatest through private lessons. I would start now to supplement your music education with that.  Let the teacher know your goals, so they can tailor a program for you. Basic fundamentals and a daily regimented routine is important.  

If you are a bit braver.  Audition for your dream corps and get the valuable feedback from them on where you need to concentrate on improving certain skills.  You may even surprise yourself and do better than you think.  We are sometimes bigger critics of ourselves than we really need to be in this regard. Yes, your talent level is important. I can tell you that a bigger factor in determining your eligibility is your attitude, your willingness to listen, and to always strive to improve yourself. 

One caveat about auditions...you can have a bad experience at a camp and think that all corps are like that and then get discouraged from trying for other corps.  Don't fall into this trap, you might surprise yourself and find that you enjoy the vibe of a particular corps that you never even considered. I've even known folks that marched with the winning corps and didn't like the vibe for whatever reason and joined other lower placing corps and were very happy.

Good luck and happy hunting..   

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No idea where you live but here is my standard plug for All Age corps if any are nearby. Get a good taste of being in a corps without the tour and hopefully cheaper. Others have started all age and then to junior without hard feelings from the all age corps.

PS I was 16 when I joined....

What Jim said. Our son marched two years with a DCA corps (after not making a local DCI corps), learned what this drum corps thing was about, then took it on the road the next three years with DCI corps. He's a driven kid anyway, but he definitely used his time in DCA to hone his skills in listening to feedback from techs, practicing what they gave him to work on, and making sure it showed up during competitions. All of those things got him to the point where he was able to march with his dream corps in DCI.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

What Jim said. Our son marched two years with a DCA corps (after not making a local DCI corps), learned what this drum corps thing was about, then took it on the road the next three years with DCI corps. He's a driven kid anyway, but he definitely used his time in DCA to hone his skills in listening to feedback from techs, practicing what they gave him to work on, and making sure it showed up during competitions. All of those things got him to the point where he was able to march with his dream corps in DCI.

many DCA corps today have instructors that went through DCI, so they know what to expect...several have their feet in both worlds too. never underestimate this option if you don't make your dream corps off the bat

• Like 3

I personally feel it is best to check your local or regional options first. The thrill of playing for a local corps and being part of a local/regional youth activity is wonderful and in many ways may give you more gratification than marching with a "national power." As others have said, Open Class and All-Age (DCA) groups offer some of the best instruction and also allow for time to work in the summer (in the case of DCA). In the long run it's not about winning but about learning great music, marching a great show, entertaining a crowd, traveling, and being a part of a great team with great friends. Of course, you do need to consider what style of show and music you prefer.  Gain experience. If you do have a dream of marching a top world-class corps it will help that you have experience with another organization. 

• Like 2