Regiment Ramblings (What If?)

Sooooo, by now we all know that the corps lost two very competent instructors (Shaw & Rennick). What I have been pondering is, if they had stayed, would we have seen the programs that we saw at Vanguard? I would like to think so, but in my heart, I just can't quite go there.

Of course, there will be some that want me to 'move on' or 'get over it' and I get that. So this is more to get the opinion of others on whether or they (Regiment) would have done shows like The Spark of Invention, Ouroboros, or Babylon?

Thoughts minus the flamage would be appreciated. 

44 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Sooooo, by now we all know that the corps lost two very competent instructors (Shaw & Rennick). What I have been pondering is, if they had stayed, would we have seen the programs that we saw at Vanguard? I would like to think so, but in my heart, I just can't quite go there.

Of course, there will be some that want me to 'move on' or 'get over it' and I get that. So this is more to get the opinion of others on whether or they (Regiment) would have done shows like The Spark of Invention, Ouroboros, or Babylon?

Thoughts minus the flamage would be appreciated. 

I was just thinking about PR today.  I was a fanboy of the Regiment BITD.  

PR has indeed more problems then just the loss of instructors. My goodness Rennick has been gone for a REALLY LONG TIME and Shaw the same. We should be asking the question...why did they leave in the first place?  Why is there such a huge staff turnover? It takes more than just two folks to make a difference.  Regiment has been trying to find themselves these last few years and really have lost their way IMO.  I almost feel like they've lost their identity altogether.  I truly miss the regiment sound.  It was very distinctive.  Right now...it's gone...that is quite obvious...There needs to be some serious changes that make sense.  An 11th place finish competitively is the worst placement since 1974. It pains me to even say that. I wish I had the answer or magic pill for them.

• Like 1

I have always been a fan of Phantom. I enjoyed them in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and now in the 2000s. Their best shows always begin with great music...powerful music, and a sound in brass and percussion that just sucks you in and makes you forget about scores. Their 2014 show had many of these elements but also had some visual issues that detracted from what could have been a magnificent show. Their 2012 show is, I believe, their last great masterpiece -- although I continue to enjoy them. 

Having the right instructors and designers is nice, but I doubt that losing Shaw and Rennick is what led to lower placements. There are lots of talented people out there. It's finding the right mix of talent in design and teaching in all areas. It's having the finances and facilities. It's recruiting. It's management.  

I truly believe Phantom can jump back into the mix if we are talking top 5 status and scores. I think they can design a show that has a classic Phantom feel to it but also exude a modern dimension that makes it feel fresh. These things can be done and there are a lot more people out there that can produce these results vs the few "usual suspects" that we all bring up when it comes to design and teaching. 

As for style, Santa Clara always had a more diverse style in their approach to show design. They would perform everything from classical, semi-classical, jazz, Broadway, and contemporary music; and they have a long history of visual innovation.  I do think this helped Shaw and Rennick adapt to their needs. Phantom's style is more closely linked to Classical/Romantic music and big, powerful themes. It can be done though. Carolina Crown performed a very Phantom-esque show in 2015.  I am all for new changes in style and music for Phantom, but I also feel they have to find moments in their shows that give us that look and feel (especially the sound) that remind us of their very best shows. 

• Like 5

I would like to know what happened after 2010??  Into the Light was such a great step towards more modern programming and a fantastic Rosander drill.  Turandot was a great follow up but a bit of a step back into their shell.

Into the Light was such a fan favorite I’ve always wondered why they immediately went backwards in design?  Grumpy old alumni??

• Like 3

Many forget that Red Violin mini-fiasco in 2009, right on the heels of winning it all in '08.  That show had major rewrites all season long, if memory serves.  Shaw and Rennick were in the trenches for that one, too... don't know who dreamt that program up, but no one is immune to a clunker now and then...

• Like 2

The complaint many have regarding Phantom and its repertoire  is that it has all been done before, and when it comes to some of the masterpieces of the Romantic era, that is true, but there have not been as many “deep cuts.” For example, in 2014 they performed “Swan Lake.” True, they did it in “Winter Palace” in 1987, but instead of digging deeper in the score and using music that has never been used in drum corps, they added film music. 

I’d love to have some Beethoven and Brahms in shows. There is so much unexplored Dvorak. Suk’s “Fantastc Scherzo” is amazing. 

The world of opera has great potential for Phantom, and with props becoming the norm, it’s much easier to tell the story. Cavaleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci would make a great show with emotionally gripping music and while “Vesti la Guibba” has been a show stopper in the past, it has never been done as it is found in the opera. I would love to see “Aida” on the drum corps field, all Verdi, no Elton John and Tim Rice. “Tosca” and “Manama Butterfly” would be powerful too. 

These are some thoughts and probably reflect my tastes more than anything else, but the music is timeless and it could be great for Phantom to make a comeback.

• Like 2

Why won't they move into modern classical music. There is some great modern music to draw from.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Sideways said:

I would like to know what happened after 2010??  Into the Light was such a great step towards more modern programming and a fantastic Rosander drill.  Turandot was a great follow up but a bit of a step back into their shell.

Into the Light was such a fan favorite I’ve always wondered why they immediately went backwards in design?  Grumpy old alumni??

I've always heard, and it may or may not be true, but that 2010 was Myron Rosander's baby, and after he left for health reasons, I think the shift happened. If that has anything to do with why the others left, I have no idea, but something I've always heard. 

On 10/11/2018 at 3:45 PM, jwillis35 said:

I truly believe Phantom can jump back into the mix if we are talking top 5 status and scores. I think they can design a show that has a classic Phantom feel to it but also exude a modern dimension that makes it feel fresh. These things can be done and there are a lot more people out there that can produce these results vs the few "usual suspects" that we all bring up when it comes to design and teaching. 

Unfortunately I don't see this with the current staff. To me the top 5 are on another level performance and design wise.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1